Thread: wierd windows update problem

wierd windows update problem

for some reason whenever i try to get an update off of winupdate.com(i've tried several of them individually, it doesnt seem to matter which one), my comp just restarts during the installation phase. it doesnt even go thru the little "windows is shutting down" process. then from that point on it will only run for about 3 minutes after i start it up. i think that its some startup process involving winupdate thats doing it, but i dunno cuz it wont stay up long enough for me to investigate. i've had to format and re-install four times because of this, anybody know what the problem is? is it possible that this has to do with me not activating windows? http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=264870

If it's a pirated version or a locked out CD Key, quite possibly. Even an inactivated version may be detected.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

THat could be the reason, but then again i updated my pirated version many times, and im pretty sure i use the CD-Key which half the word uses when installing a pirated version....

Why don't you try and activate windows (get a valid CD key from a back of a computer in a library or something) and then try to update it..
    O.G at A.O

i was just wondering if anybody has heard of this happening because its so wierd. ripping off a cd-key from some public comp like at school or something would probably be pretty easy, but that sounds really, really illegal. what are the chances that they'll find out and track me down?

Um close to none.
    O.G at A.O

As far as I am aware, WinXP needs to be activated, or it will stop working properly. This could well be your problem.

You might also look at what is running in the background..WinSonar for example will kill updates.

Yeah, Windows XP HOme Edition has to activated within 30 days of installation or it will be de-activated, you'll only be able to see the log in screen and when you log in you can only activate windows, nothing else. WIndows XP Professional doesn't have to be activated at all, the same for Corporate Edition.
    O.G at A.O

WIndows XP Professional doesn't have to be activated at all, the same for Corporate Edition.
    I have XP Professional on this box and had to activate it. The corporate versions don't need activation.

Hmm i never had to activate my XP Pro copy....weird
    O.G at A.O

It might be something to do with its being an OEM version, rather than "boxed retail"?