Thread: share winme internet using hub

share winme internet using hub

can somebody teach me how to sharing internet connection..
    for ur information.. i have 3 computer, also have hub and modem....

plsss somebody....
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=213
    All be clear, All be fine, Knowledge is first

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Wrong area. This forum is for network security discussions. Albeit, this request has security implications, you are asking for help setting up a network.

What sort of modem?
    Do you have an ISP account already, and do they allow you to share you account with multiple computers? (AO journeymen: yes, I know, sounds dumb..Sprint Broadband used to work that way, it was a per-PC fee you paid.)
    Do you have multiple network interfaces on one of the computers?
    I you *SURE* you want to do this with Windows ME?

/* Edit: Moderators, should this be moved to Newbie Security Questions? */
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Simple way: buy a router. plug router into modem, plug cmputers into router. DONE!
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Hey Hey,

Sounds like you've got everything you need to supply internet to all three of the computers...

ignore everything else... you don't need to buy a router... if you're modem is already working with your PC you don't care about that... you also don't care if your ISP allows multiple connections.... The only one that is worthwhile is the question regarding multiple network interfaces...

Here's what you need to do... Connect your windows ME machine to the internet as you normally would.... now run a cable from your NIC (or second NIC depending on modem) to your hub.... also plug the other PCs into the hub. Then just follow the MS steps for setting up ICS..

1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add/Remove Programs.
    2. On the Windows Setup tab, double-click Internet Tools.
    3. Click to select the Internet Connection Sharing check box, and then click OK.
    4. Click OK, and then follow the instructions on the screen to run the Internet Connection Sharing wizard.
    In the end you'll have Internet ---- Modem ---- WinME PC ---- Hub ---- 2 Other PCs

Peace,
    HT

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by HTRegz ...
    ignore everything else... you don't need to buy a router... if you're modem is already working with your PC you don't care about that... you also don't care if your ISP allows multiple connections....
    He/she might care if their ISP allows multiple connections...I don't presume to know what his/her intentions are. I merely bring it up so the poster can make an informed decision.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Originally posted here by zencoder
    He/she might care if their ISP allows multiple connections...I don't presume to know what his/her intentions are. I merely bring it up so the poster can make an informed decision.
    Hey Hey,

Pete stated his intentions... he wants to connected the other PCs through the primary PC.. that is the purpose of ICS..... Which means he doesn't need multiple connections to the ISP only a single one.... so again it doesn't matter.

Peace,
    HT

ok i'm understand.. my server is winme coz my modem not support winNT....i already follow ur instructions.. and i got some problem, the problem is the client using win98 (not 98se), how to configuration
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=213
    All be clear, All be fine, Knowledge is first

You have to run ICS on each pc, if I remember right the wizard HT was talking about created a disk that you run on each pc? I do remebmer you have to have the second edition or later. If you have Netbeui on the clients that could prevent ICS from working. If the ICS wizard doesn't make a disk then just set the clients to obtain IP address and set WINS for DHCP and remove any previously installed gateways. Ah what the hell let me look it up.....

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics_98
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.