Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stopping P2P

Stopping P2P

Okay, I have yet to find a solution to this problem, but I hope one of you will kindly help me out

I have a shared ADSL connection at home, and my brother, being himself, spends the whole time downloading huge files via P2P and other methods, but P2P is the bigger one. Because of all these massive downloads, he is hogging all the bandwidth, and so browsing the internet is incredibly slow.

Here is my problem: he uses, for example, LimeWire and BitTornado (BitTorrent client). Now, I know for a fact that LimeWire runs on port 6346 as default, and so I can just block outgoing and incoming connections on this port with my firewall, right? This is where the problem arises...With LimeWire, you can just change the listening port to whatever you want, and so there is no way for me to stop my brother constantly changing the port in time for me to block it.

My question is: Is there any way to block the actual kind of traffic, not just the port?

Thanks in advance,

J_K9

*BTW, I use a Linksys WAG54G Router/Modem/Firewall to share my ADSL line.*

You can do this apparently using a Linux ip firewall technology known as "layer 7 packet classification" which goes from the type of traffic rather than the port.

Would it not be more reasonable to tell him to stop?

Slarty

Thanks slarty for that info

Oh, and there's no way to stop my brother, because he's constantly downloading movies. He's older than me and he'll kill me if I ask him to stop. LOL

J_K9

OK this is the New Year, and I am in one of "those" moods ............errrr otherwise known as "drunk out of my skull"

I have already assumed that the tried and trusted 9mm Parabellum solution is out of the question..........you might get away with it if they go for "murder 1" rather than "fratricide".......but that is a technicality?

Have you heard of an organisation called the RIAA?.......................I leave your actions to your discretion............you cut the length of piano or guitar wire so it fits in the mouthpiece of the telephone................that totally screws voice recognition systems

You might just consider talking to your parents? they might even love the pair of you?

They will have to pay when he gets caught?

Good luck

Just exclude his MAC address on the router. This would cause him to have a stand alone computer without an internet connection. No more downloads.

Edit> Or if he is the wireless client on the router, drop the transfer rate to the lowest setting, effectively limiting his bandwith usage.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

what type of equipmet are you using? see if you can set bandwidth limitations per client, or soething like that. or just close all non essential ports.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Thanks XTC46 and moxnix, I'll check out the bandwidth limitation as soon as I get home (I'm on holiday at the moment, hooray!). I'll also close unnecessary ports too.

nihil: I appreciate you spending so much time writing such a load of bull

[EDIT] XTC46: I use Linksys WAG54G Modem/Router/Firewall [/EDIT]

J_K9

nihil: I appreciate you spending so much time writing such a load of bull
    Oh, and there's no way to stop my brother, because he's constantly downloading movies. He's older than me and he'll kill me if I ask him to stop. LOL
    Well sonny jim it works like this................he probably knows more than you?.............if not he will know someone who does...............when he finds out what you have done he will beat the seven shades of Sh1t out of you

Or perhaps you had not considered that scenario

Talk to who pays for the shared link?

Now, this time nihil, I can say you've been helpful

He doesn't know more than me, but his friend does...

Thanks for everyone's help

J_K9

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    If you enter the router' config, you should be able to rate limit Packets matching a specific criteria. So if the P2P client he is using is, Azureus (bittorrent), then you would wanna rate limit incoming packets to Port 6881. Thats what i would do.
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2