Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Net BIOS Sessions

Thanks everybody that helped out !!!!

I don’t know if this has been covered or not. The posts have been rather wordy…which is good but I don’t have the time to read them all right now (@work).

Net bios is the protocol used by “ms file and print sharing/windows networking”. If it’s turned on (which it usually is), and the user has a null (none) or weak password and s/he is not behind a firewall anyone can have access to the machine. Knowing this, computer thieves and malicious kids have written viruses and worms that make use of this weakness.

Once a computer is infected that computer then tries to infect more computers. The newly infected infect more etc. This means that almost all of the ‘hits’ your getting are from the computers of people that are infected but don’t even know that they are. there are worms still around from 1999 (code red).

Your firewall will alert you to threats according to a compiled list of common threats matched too corresponding ports. This does not mean that it is what it says it is all the time. your firewall doesn’t analyze what’s trying to connect to a certain port it just pops up what the manufacturer has programmed it to say. And as Neg has said if your getting these alerts your firewall is doing it’s job. It’s the ones you don’t see that you have to worry about. ;-)

BTW there are many on these forums that are much older than you so please don’t feel out of place here.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Thanks Tedob 1 !!!

I like this forum and the people in it seem genuinely interested in helping so I plan to stick around and eventually hope to contribute to answering questions as well as asking them! By the way...Happy New year !!!