Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cursor

cursor

Occasionally moves on it's own...even watched it slide from one edge almost to the next. But usually only moves an inch or two.
    It still responds when I direct it. I can stop it moving in mid-flight and relocate it.

Question: Is this normal...or...what should I do to correct it?

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    Do you have an optical mouse or those old timers'? If you have an optical one, it sounds like you have a scratch on it. No problem. It might also be that you have some nacho cheese stuck to it also . Look at it, and clean it- just to rule that out

kurt

Just a cheap $5 Walmart two-button mouse...and I just cleaned it the other day. It's been doing this for awhile and usually ( but not always ) while a page is loading or something else is active.

Thanks !

Oh ! Happy New Year !!!

Yes, I have a machine that does that from time to time. The mouse is a Microsoft Intellipoint PS/2.

Movement seems to be only lateral/horizontal and, like yourself seems to happen when a page is loading.

The OS is Windows ME. The browser Mozilla 1.7 All patches applied.

I have thoroughly checked for malware and found nothing.

I am not worried about it at the moment. I might try a different mouse and driver, possibly USB.

Happy New Year

Originally posted here by nihil
    Yes, I have a machine that does that from time to time. The mouse is a Microsoft Intellipoint PS/2.

Movement seems to be only lateral/horizontal and, like yourself seems to happen when a page is loading.

The OS is Windows ME. The browser Mozilla 1.7 All patches applied.

I have thoroughly checked for malware and found nothing.

I am not worried about it at the moment. I might try a different mouse and driver, possibly USB.

Happy New Year
    Happy New Year to both of you too!!!

Same...only horizontal, and sometimes the cursor shakes ( quivers ) while it's moving...did AVG and AdWare Scans both came up with nothing...if you discover what fixes yours let me know...thanks!!!

What is your operating system. I have heard that there might be an issue with Win XP SP2.

If you are using Win XP try disabling "Enhance Pointer Precision" in the <pointer options>

In Win98 and ME you might try turning off pointer accelleration.

Also, make sure that you have the latest Windows mouse drivers.

Cheers

I will try a few other things and let you know how I get on.

Hi, nihil !

Windows 2000 pro ( in systems it's listed as both server and workstation but on the faint image on my monitor in the background it says Windows NT Workstation ), bought it used 6.04GB with 64MB Ram 500 MHZ...upgraded it to 80GB ( ghosted and removed the old motherboard ) and 384MB Ram...not on a network...don't know what other specs you need.

Thank-you !...if you find out I'll be here !

Oh!...and I regularly check Windows Update and yesterday it said there were none. If I needed to update my mouse drivers would it come up on the scan on Windows Update ?

Hi Egaladeist,

That's enough of the specifications thanks, nothing else should have an effect. Try changing the mouse settings,as I suggested in my last post, I can't remember which it is in Windows 2000 Pro ....................I am getting old.....err..........I already am old

Another thing that I have seen is where the mouse was a bit lightweight and on a slippery or sloping surface...........vibrations would make the mouse slide. Slope will only go one way, slippery will go both ways depending on the resonant frequency perhaps? If you have your hand on the mouse when this happens then this is NOT the cause.

The only other possibility is a joke program, but you can usually spot them as they will normally kick off after a certain period of inactivity, or randomly but many times per day.

Now all my guests are gone I will experiment with different mice/drivers on my machine that has the same problem.

I will get back to you,

Cheers

I have that issue on my Dell laptop ever since I got an optical mouse. Older mice used to come with a calibration routine that would adjust the potentiometer readings. In 2000 you can play with the movement setting and click off features like "hide pointer while typing" or "Enhanced precision" At first I thought someone had back holed my system but I think is really Microsoft's Intellipoint software. Even on highly reflective surfaces I get the movement. And only recently.

/EDIT It may be a BIOS issue and not windows. The BIOS would actually run the PS2 interface between the MOBO and Mouse. Hmm hold on it does the same on USB. I do have an older USB 1.0 interface.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Thanks nihil and RoadClosed !!!

I'll tell you what I find in my mouse settings. and it does move even when my hand is on the mouse.
    If it's a joke program...as I've read about cursor pranks in another forum I attend...how could I verify that or, rule it out?
    If it is a BIOS problem how do I determine that?

Thanks, again !