Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recovering Deleted Partitions

Recovering Deleted Partitions

Hi guys, formatted my pc the other day n i accidently deleted a partition in the set up i wasnt supposed to, any one know of a program that can recover these files (hopefully just restore the partition) as i have alot of work on this drive

[edit] Prefiby free applications, i know of one or two that can rebuild your partition record, but they cost money [/edit]
    Signature image is too tall!

OK I have looked at your profile, and unfortunately you have more than one computer and more than one OS

So, what is on the machine with the problem, and what sort of partition did you delete. Obviously I do not want to recommend something that won't work, or a desperation stakes "recover what you can" utility that will leave you with a real pain in the ass task of sorting out all your files again

Would I be right in assuming that your HDD is undamaged, and this is just something you have done by accident? The reason I ask is that data recovery tools tend to fall into two categories: Those that work on damaged media, and those that do not. You need to chose the right one, or you will only make matters worse or make a lot more work for yourself.

Cheers

gpart is your best bet. It is a GNU/Linux program made to guess the partition table if it has been overwritten. I've used it before and it can really save the day. It won't work if you've used reiser4 partitions, but I'm not sure about NTFS. Either way the best way to use it is to download a linux live CD, such as Knoppix which I know has it installed, and run it from there.

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    try using partition magic.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Sorry, i need a windows program, but i was thinking, could i just use Partition Magic, write a new partition (they usualy take up the same space?) then use one of the free file recovery tools, will that work with out any data loss?

Next time around you should be very careful in analyzing your harddrives, especially when it comes to partitioning.. It's really not that hard if you know what you are doing but if you no experience regarding this try to ask somebody else...

I agree with Archangel-13 try to use it, but If you want a friendly user use PARTITION MAGIC 7.0 or higher, or to search in google...

Ill try to search for you..
    wait for my post

yeah, i didnt think windows setup detected external usb drives :/

ok thanks for your help all, but i couldnt really find anything to good for free to recover the partition, but i did buy some software, its called GetDataBack, the trial version lets you do everything except recover the files, least its better the 5000word assignment down the drain :/

Windoze huh?

http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html

GNU Public licence software...............it will do several OSes and filetypes, but you need to d/l the right version.

The site may be worth a visit by others to add to their "toolkits"

Good Luck Mate!

09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0