Thread: switching over from borland to dev compiler

switching over from borland to dev compiler

hi
    i have currently downloaded a dev compiler and the problem is i am switching over from borland compiler to dev

can any one help me out with the change of programing pattern in dev or give me a lol(list of links) or a tutorial of how programing is carried out in dev,

thanks.
    smoking is really bad for ur PC....

do you mean dev-cpp?

i am using that compiler and all programs that i have written are compiled and tested on dev-cpp.

so if you would like examples on writing programs with dev-cpp check here all source is included.

i don't know borland's compiler, but i doubt the syntaxis/programming pattern would be any different.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    can any one help me out with the change of programing pattern in dev or give me a lol(list of links) or a tutorial of how programing is carried out in dev,
    Perhaps you should take a look at their site:

http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/doc/index.html
    http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/help.html

AFAIK, compilers work in the same fashion but the actual positioning of things (say, where the execute/compile features are in the menu) may be different.

This Google Search may also be of use.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Custom User
    I doubt you'll have any problem using dev-cpp if you've used another ide like borland turbo c++. If you just used borland c++ on the command line, then don't worry: dev-cpp is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) and you can just think of it like an ascii editor (notepad, etc.) and a compiler rolled into one.

Your syntax should be the same for the two compilers for the most part, and if it's not, it's because borland have created extra pieces of syntax to help you program, but I doubt that will be a problem. So just fire up dev-cpp and code exactly like you've done before, and if you were using command line to compile, simply click on the compile button on the toolbar or select it from whatever menu it's in instead.

Hope that helped. And if you're looking for basic C++ tutorials that will work with dev, http://www.cprogramming.com If you're relatively advanced already, don't worry about it.

ac

actualaly what i wan to ...is....
    if u r familer with turbo c++
    ..we need to creat a file .....type in the code and compile it to execution
    but
    in dev we have to creat a project then type in the code compille it and then ....

my Quetion how to execute free of warnigs n errors it bcoz
    i had tryied this simplest code.

#include<iostream.h>
    #include<conio.h>
    int main()
    {
    cout<<" hello";
    getch();
    return 0;
    }

// it show me a warning

2 e:\Dev-Cpp\include\c++\3.3.1\backward\backward_warning.h:32 #warning This file includes at least one deprecated or antiquated header. Please consider using one of the 32 headers found in section 17.4.1.2 of the C++ standard. Examples include substituting the <X> header for the <X.h> header for C++ includes, or <sstream> instead of the deprecated header <strstream.h>. To disable this warning use -Wno-deprecated.

what does it means or why does it got generated bcoz the code is correct ????????

i think the warning is pretty clear.
    read it properly
    Knowledge needs to be acquired

Custom User
    Basically, Dev-C++ uses an ansi compatible compiler. ansi have stopped using the .h header files, so instead of iostream.h, you should just use iostream. If you do this, the way you have coded you "cout << ..." will not work, so you also have to put "using namespace std;" at the top of your code before your main function (I think it's there, anyhow).

ac

thats perfecttly correct.
    if u didnt get it refer c++ primer by lippman its properly explained there
    in the first few chapters.
    Knowledge needs to be acquired

i got it cathing up soon....................

Lm