Thread: Cgi

Cgi

First off, the form im using is downloadable here.

I’m somewhat knew to coding and I don’t really know how to set this all up. I don’t think this PL script is accessible by the internet even though its in my cgi-bin. I have apache2 and my server is setup like this:

Apache2\
    Cgi-bin\
    Htdocs\pcsclan

(Pcsclan is just another folder)

I believe that since the cgi-bin is not in the htdocs (the htdocs folder is completely accessible by the internet), that no one could possible access my cgibin. How can I correct this so that I can use my PL script in my html form?

Also, I see that $mailprog = '/usr/lib/sendmail -i -t'; is in the script.
    I don’t have unix and I don’t know if I have sendmail. I have Win XP, how can I set it up so that it works?

Thanks for your time,
    Phil

Can you access /cgi-bin/ on your server? (ie. http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/) I don't remember if the default httpd.conf has cgi-bin as an accessable virtual directory, but I think it does, which means it is accessable by the internet.

Also, you may need to install PERL, and I think you also may have to manually edit your httpd.conf to reflect that PERL is to be parsed. And then you would ensure that the first line in the .pl script points to where your PERL interperter is installed.

Finally, I don't think this will work with Windows because of the sendmail requirement. The bottom of that page has alternatives/ports for Windows, but if you have a mail program that can have data redirected/piped to it, you could probably edit the script to use it. I'm not sure of what you can use under Windows for that though, and how much modification you would have to make to the script.

Yes I have ActivePerl installed so thats okay. That link that you posted works for me but says forbidden which is good I guess. So basically Im screwed because I dont have sendmail? What other alternatives are there especially considering I dont know Perl and wouldnt be able to edit any scripts if neccassary that well.

What are you trying to do with the script?

I don't usually think the ability to send e-mail from anonymous users to your server is a good idea - usually scripts run by people with malicious intent are continually scanning IP ranges to see if port 80 is open (among others) and then it would get a banner (service identification, such as messages that show up on errors that say Apache 2.x.x at the bottom) and check against a list of known exploits. Sometimes if they stumble across something interesting such as being able to send e-mails, they don't hesitate to use it to relay spam. That would be a bad thing, especially if you get blacklisted because of it. ISP's are more than happy to drop customers if they want to be un-blacklisted...

Anyways, you might want to look at not letting everyone send e-mail through you. If you want to however, you could probably use Blat and the script(s) at the bottom of the Matt's Script Archive page for Windows, but I have no expirence with Blat or those scripts so you'd have to research them on your own... Cheers.

Oh forget it its not a formal site. Ill just tell em to email me with information instead of having a form.