Socket 939 vs 754

Thread: Socket 939 vs 754

Socket 939 vs 754

I have 2 links here:

I want to ask the experts: "what do you think about all that?"
    Remember, all I\'m offering is the truth, nothing more.

United Kingdom: Bridlington
    Well, the newer processor is "better" but is much more expensive, and just what would you run on it............Remember that the MoBo and Dual channel memory are more expensive as well.

Sure it can be upgraded, but what else will be around in 5 years time? you may be "locking yourself in " rather than "future proofing"..............I personaly do not look more than 3 years ahead, and if it comes to replacing the processor?................I don't, I build a new machine with the latest components.

Anyway, as I suggested, what software will utilise the power of the single channel 64 bit, let alone the dual channel 128 bit?

It seems to me that hardware manufaturers have been selling "bragging rights" for some time now........the software suppliers will not fall into the pit with them because they know that most of their (sane) customers wouldn't waste good beer tokens to replace perfectly functional hardware

My opinion

AO French Antique News Whore
    754 is old socket using single memory.
    939 is new socket using dual memory. (Memory Bandwidth with CPU is double)

The 754 processor are cheap, 939 are a bit high. A lot of test has show that the dual memory doesn't really help performance in today world; it doesn't give a boost at all since a 3500+ on 754 is 200MHZ faster that a 3500+ on 939.

Conclusion: If you don't plan to change CPU in 2-3 years, stick with 754 unless you're really wants the top of the top CPU.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

The Dual Channel of Socket 939 doesn't help much today. But by the end of 2005, Socket 939 will support Dual Core processors. I'm confidient that Opterons under Socket 940 will only require a BIOS update to support the new processors, so it would be safe to assume that with Socket 939 a BIOS update would allow Dual Core processors to work. Of course that assumes that your motherboard manufactuer decides to update the BIOS instead of selling you a new product...

Don't hold your breath on Dual Core processors too much though. They aren't going to be stuffing two top-of-the-line processors into one -- it will be two slower processors combined into one. So just because there are two doesn't mean AMD is planning on doubling performance right from the start -- total performance will just be similar, although in things like gaming it will actually result in decreased performance.

Anyways, if you're looking to build a computer for gaming now and don't plan on upgrading it later (ie you'll live with it for 2-3 years), 754 will suffice and save you some money. Of course when you upgrade, Socket 754 is at a dead end so you'll probably have to move to Socket 939 anyways although prices *might* have come down a bit or performance would have increased and prices remain similar.

Me, I decided to save money by buying the last (retiring) generation of powerful 32bit processors from AMD. AthlonXP Bartons. Mobile AthlonXP Bartons to be exact. On the 760MPX chipset. Which is a creative way to say that I've overclocked the hell out of my processors (yes, two) and am running them together in a SMP system. Basically, I perform on-par with 2-way Opteron systems that are 3x-4x the cost of my system. Sure there is no future for this system in the CPU department, but at the end of 2005 this machine (if it still runs, haha) won't be threatened by the slower and new Dual Core processors under Socket 939 (although 4-way Opterons are another story...) so my meager investment/gamble will still be paying off.