Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wireless problem

Wireless problem

I am having a problem with my wifi on my laptop i am running suse 9.2 on a sony vaio v505 bx when i installed the operating syst. it found my built in 802.11b card. and when i boot up i can use KWIFI to find my wlan but it is pulling a diffrent ip address than what i am giving out. i have gone into the configuration settings with yast and set the ip adress statically with my gateway and dns servers and everything. but i still cannot connect. withe dhcp i can get an ip address but can not ping the gateway please help i am running out of hair to pull out.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Are you certain you are properly associated with the Access Point? I'm a slacker/hatter and don't know Suse at all (to my loss, I'm often told), and I also don't do much desktop with Linux, so KWIFI isn't my bag either. That being said, I've done a LOT of troubleshooting with 802.11 networks, and I've seen more than my share of users that show they are associated, but never trully get connected properly. WinXP < SP2 was notorious for this, in my experience. At least with SP2 you get the 'limited connectivity' warning. Can you send or receive traffic to any other points on the network, physical or wlan, besides the gateway itself? Are you using WEP/WPA/LEAP/etc.? Does your AP allow you to set a Static DHCP entry for the system?
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

i am reciving an ip address from the wireless router but i can not ping the router or the other computers on the network. i have no wep encryption set with the correct wep key so i know thats not it. and yes the access point allows static addresses i tried to set one and it still would not allow me to ping the gateway or dns servers. you said you are good a configuring the wifi with the command line. do you have any good web pages that might help to get me connected thru the command line.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Well, let's back up a step. You said you are receiving an IP, but you can't ping the AP?!? How does your routing table look? I am not so sure this is an 802.11 problem yet, but a networking problem. Does Suse have a firewall/iptables and have you turned it on or configured it?

/* Edit: if you are unfamiliar with routing...at the command prompt type

# netstat -r

and give us the output. */
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

yes i am reciving an ip. are you asking about the routing tables on the laptop or the router, the routing table on the router looks fine and i have not checked the laptop. yes suse has a firewall but i dont know about the iptables

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Route table on the laptop. Are you using the Suse firewall? iptables is the Linux kernel based firewall. It's probably what Suse is using.

yes i am using the suse firewall. should i turn it off to see if i can get on

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Yes, turn off the firewall for now, and see if anything works. You might also want to monitor the firewal logs while you are performing network tests to see if it is dropping traffic.

I asked about the route tables because if routing on the laptop is fudged, who knows where those pings are going (the bit bucket, most likely).

ok ill try tonight when i get home and post what happens.

Angry

ok i got the laptop to pull an ip address from the linksys router and i can ping the internal gateway and i can browse to the other computers on the network but still can not get out to the internet i have set the dns to my service providers and the default gateway on the laptop to the internal gateway of 192.168.1.1 starting to pull more hair any help would be great