Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hacking windows nt server

This guy's been dealing with something at work and he's now gone on holiday til the end of january. I need to take over but all the details are stored on his emails. Need to get in as its requires immediate attention. I need to know his password to get into windows nt to get onto his emails.

Originally posted here by dougal
    I need to know his password to get into windows nt to get onto his emails.

Perhaps a phone call to him so he can supply the password will work? Or is he possibly checking voice mail?

Oh wait, let me guess, he's out of town and can't be contacted where he's at, right?

If this truly is the situation, then perhaps better planning in the future will remedy this situation from occuring again?
    - Maverick

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    What kind of mailserver is it? Exchange, what?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    Dougal: You say you "need" to view these emails.... What _exactly_ is the burning need? Is it a legal issue or some such and you are responsible for dealing with it?

There are ways but I need more information regarding the operating systems, your rights on those systems and what kind of mail server is being used.
    <snip>
    Ok, so you answered the 'need' part of his question...that sounds legitimate enough.

I'll go out on a limb here, and based on your query and the info you've asked for/provided, I'll make some assumptions and then give you some advice.

Assumptiions:
    #1 you are not the enterprise Administrator for Active Directory/NT Domain, Exchange, or Account Management
    #2 you haven't asked for or received official permission or sanction to perform this activity

Advice:
    #1 present your need to access this email to your manager/supervisor/CEO (as appropriate for the size of your company), and cite your responsibility to handle this situation in the owners absence
    #2 request that the email (exchange, lotus, or whatever) admin assist you, either by granting you access. forwarding the messages to you, etc.
    #3 make sure you have a paper trail of the authorization. nothing like getting nipped for doing something the boss said you could....

Now you may think I'm full of sh!t, but really, this doesn't really sound like a case where you should *start* ny trying to crack someone's account. I have *NEVER* heard of a situation where an end user has needed to legitimately crack the user account of a co-worker, when it was not a specific part of their job. And in a properly engineered environment, you shouldn't have the need to crack an account...you just request access from the right administrator/support team. As mentioned above, maybe this is a good opportunity to learn and better plan for the next time.

Now that being said, we don't all work in perfect environments, and we don't all have the resources I've described. I'm just trying to help you get the issue resolved without getting pinched for violation of policy.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Dougal............

Don't you read the posts?...........what mail system?............you were asked........you just want his password to NT.............you will not give us enough information to help, because you obviously know jack sh1t about IT, particularly in a corporate environment. Why come to a website like this when you should be going to your IT Systems Administrator?.........Get yourself a life before you get yourself fired and a prison sentence.

YOU ARE A TROLL

it's true - i do know jack sh!t about IT - that's why i need the help. it's on microsoft outlook. If i know the info you need i can give it to you

AOs Resident Troll
    Again

Why do you not follow what has been suggested here??

Do you have "permission" from your Boss, IT dept etc to do this??

Why do you not ask the system admin...they can get into it...or give you access??

You havent supplied enough info

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

that would be the best thing to do dougal (what morganlefay suggested) ask your boss of you cannot get in touch with the empolyee that you need his password, then if your boss says yes then you cna go to your network admin and whith the proper paperwork get the info you need from the mailserver.
    Davide Coon

can't get permission for this cos it was meant to have been my responsibility but i had loads of other things to do. He offered to do it for me and i was assured it'd be done before he went away - i know it's sh!t planning

Originally posted here by nihil

I have had to crack colleague's e-mail systems in the past. They go on vacation and something crops up on a project whilst they are away that needs immediate attention.

Dougal
    This guy's been dealing with something at work and he's now gone on holiday til the end of january. I need to take over but all the details are stored on his emails. Need to get in as its requires immediate attention. I need to know his password to get into windows nt to get onto his emails.
    Paraphrase?

IMO sounds like BS to me.
    Mad Beaver