Go to the boss and explain!!
    Cause what you are proposing is illegal.......you need "permission"

ELSE

Too Bad
    So Sad
    Sucks To be You!!

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

OK I shall be very blunt.............I assume that several people reading this thread will be perverse enough to follow my logic.

1. Joe goes on vacation..........4 weeks?..........sure as hell isn't the USA? not that, that matters.
    2. Bill is told to stand in for Joe by the BOSS.
    3. Bill is told we need this on Joe's account NOW!

What should Bill do....................

a: Ask his BOSS for access to the relevant information?
    b: Go to his friendly Systems Administrator with a six-pack of the finest?
    c: Come to AO and ask how to hack into his corporate network?

Why is it that I have this nasty feeling that someone is not being honest with me?

Maybe I should post this as a poll............or did I mean Troll?

My take

Also notice that it was only AFTER I posted a legitimate reason for hacking corporate e-mail, that our little friend came up with a "me too" post?

I rest my case and demand the death penalty

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I rest my case and demand the death penalty
    While I am inclined to agree the practicalities might preclude this course of action.

Dougal: Listen to Morgan.... She's a smart lady and her advice is spot on.... The penalty for avoiding some work is a lot less than for hacking into a co-workers email......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

well as you said dougal, it was your responsibility to take care of it in the first place. since you cant get permission you might as well bite the bullet and take the punishment you have to receieve since it was your project in the first place.
    Davide Coon

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Alright everyone, get your torches and pitch forks! We're going to have us a lynching!!!

Seriously Dougal, there is a wide variety of people at this forum...I can see that, and my rating is still Newbie just like yours. Many of us could probably help you out, and with this wide group of people you have some who might just help you because they can or don't give a rat's ass or whatever, but I would suspect most of us will continue on this path of asking for justification and prodding for a reason to show you how to do this. There are a few reasons why, I'd guess:

#1 professional courtesy...there are Engineers, Analysts, and Administrators here who would not want one of THEIR users getting help from an online community to crack the systems they are supposed to protect and maintain
    #2 professionalism...some of the folks here are practicing security professionals that belong to organizations which request or require subscription to a code of ethics, which your request is almost certain to violate
    #3 disdain...many probably are insulted by someone showing up with few if any posts, won't respond with details when asked, and is asking bluntly for information that can probably quite easily be found via Google, if one applies a little bit of personal effort and brain sweat.

But hey, I could just be an @sshole, too.

Seniors, if I'm off base here, feel free to flame into oblivion (but easy on the neg's please! My pathetic accumulation of AP's couldn't withstand much.)
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

I think zencoder and nihil have said it best, and I agree fully...

Admins, methinks it's time to close this thread out...
    - Maverick

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    While I am inclined to agree the practicalities might preclude this course of action.

Dougal: Listen to Morgan.... She's a smart lady and her advice is spot on.... The penalty for avoiding some work is a lot less than for hacking into a co-workers email......

So umm like, do your lips hurt from ass kissing?

This thread sucks, and the poster is a **** head. Like you use NT of all OSs for a mail server.

even if you get in to his computer, what makes you think that that he doesnt have a password on his email account. If it uses outlook then it just means its connecting to something else, could be an exchange server, could be a pop/imap account somewhere. On top of that, if you get caught doing this youll be in a **** load more trouble then if you fess up to making the mistake of not taking care of it before the guys vacation, after all if you break into one computer you can break into many, then you are a liability. Id honestly just go to the head of IT/ceo/boss what ever and get there help if this actually legit. They will like that you are trying to correct the issue rather then hide it.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Man, leave the thread for a few days and come back and all I see is. Help me hack this, help me crack that. Whats with you people.

dougal, you have been told time and time again what to do. AO is not for people like your self to come and ask how to save your butt when you screw up. If you lose your job over this, either by finding someone to actually tell you how easy it is to gain access to NT and even the mail messages you want. Or for simply not doing what you where suppose to. I hope your next job you realise that your responsibility is nothing but that.. YOURS.

You say this guy is on vacation, everyone owns a cell phone. If this is a company email address someone else (admin, ISP) has the info to get in, you just need PERMISSION.

These people have been very nice so far. (I could have sworn this post was closed)
    And you refuse to take their advice. And from the lack of posts from you I would say you are only comming back to skim the thread and see if anyone has posted the answer you want.

I have worked IT for 8 years now and if any of my people ever tried to do what you are. They would be fired.

Take the advice givin by soo many of the others. Either get permission, call the person who owns the account, or contact the people sending the emails and ask it to be resent to your account.

On another note. If you would have simply read through a few posts (one from last week I see) you would see you can defeat the login password very easily.

As far as the email goes, thats someone personal information and if you don't know how to get in you don't need in.

Sorry to be so blunt, you got all the rant for everyone of these people I have seen post this type of garbage today. What heppened to the AO that was about securing sites, boxes, or figuring out network issues.
    Whats a \"START\" button?