Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Security Patch Rummors

Microsoft Security Patch Rummors

I was wondering if anyone could clarify this for me or give me a for sure answer. I have been told by a few people (some computer techs for my internet cafe I have in the Philippines, when I was living there) NOT to download and install the security patches off the microsoft website, cause it makes your computers more vulnerable, and I have been told by other people (again, some of them computer techs) that Yes, you should download and install the security patches when microsoft puts them out. Can anyone give me a for sure answer to this?

ALWAYS keep it updated. Not updating it is like finding out that the lock on your house has a vuln where someone can simply use a key they found in their car to unlock your house, and all you have to do to fix it basically shove something onto it. Most worms propagate due to unpatched systems. If you have a firewall, it lessens this risk, but not enough considering how easy patching is to home /personal computers. Patches rarely cause problems that are major for home/personal users.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

I gotta agree with Grunt. Keeping your machine patched and up-to-date is probably one of the best, if not the best, thing you can do to keep your computer safe. The only other thing that might be more protective is AV, but, as they say "better safe than sorry". Prevention is alot easier than restoration. Firewalling also goes a very long way to keep you box safe. I don't see why anyone would advise someone not to update.
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare

Banned
    get linux

Originally posted here by karmine
    get linux
    Like that helps any. Gotta update most major distros just as much as Windows, if not more, depending on how much stuff you think you need.
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Also, perhaps you miss understood your friend ? If Microsoft send you out an email with a patch attached, then it is not legit. It should NOT be downloaded. Microsoft will never send you a patch via email, only via automatic updates and their website....
    http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affili...88x31/take.gif
    If You\'ve Done Something Right. People Wont Know You\'ve Done Anything At All - God (futurama)

Banned
    the way i look at it, linux is less prone to virii, script kiddies, and the lot. even if script kiddies could compromise your security, what could they do....sit on your box for an hour reading their "linux for dummies" book while you sit there knowing youve been broken into wait for the next move?

There's a whole lot more rootkits for *nix than for windows. It all depends on the admin and how much attn they pay to their system. I would notice just as quickly as someone on *nix if my system was hacked.

You should apply all security patches unless they are so major that they have known incompatibility issues that apply to YOU. Similarly, if they relate to something you do not have, there is no point.

I have been told by a few people (some computer techs for my internet cafe I have in the Philippines, when I was living there) NOT to download and install the security patches off the microsoft website, cause it makes your computers more vulnerable
    So where else will you get them?.............or are they suggesting that you leave the systems unpatched?

I have Trend Micro security suite 7 running on this machine......it combines AV and firewall. The AV will update daily, and in the 30 seconds or so that it switches itself off to apply the update, my "little man" who runs quietly in the background, will block maybe one or two hits............that is the environment that we are living in.

On the other hand, I am talking about a licenced software environment, maybe those guys are not?

My thoughts

Originally posted here by karmine
    the way i look at it, linux is less prone to virii, script kiddies, and the lot. even if script kiddies could compromise your security, what could they do....sit on your box for an hour reading their "linux for dummies" book while you sit there knowing youve been broken into wait for the next move?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_through_obscurity

Just because linux is "indie" doesn't make secure, you still have to update it like everyone else. This discussion would still apply regardless of the OS.

Back on track...
    Get your patches from the official source, in your case the windows update site. You can't get it a more trustworthy way unless they mail you an update CD.