hosts file and firefox

Thread: hosts file and firefox

hosts file and firefox

Hi all,
    I need assistance from you guys, now the situation is that i want to block some sites on my personal computer (do not need parental softwares netnanny etc), for that reason i edited my hosts file. After a reboot i opened I.E and checked the urls that i mentioned in hosts file and they were not working (as i wanted) but i have firefox installed on my system but i successfully visited the ban sites in firefox (still not understanding why as the urls are pointing to localhost). Could some one put the light on it. I am using WinXp (Sp2).

Thanks

Note: This is snapshot of my hosts file

127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.0.1 www.orkut.com
    127.0.0.1 www.face-pic.com
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

Hi mom!
    Your hosts-file is used by the TCP/IP protocol, not directly through a browser. I would check if any of these apply:

• you edited and/or saved the wrong file. As far as I know, your hostfile in WinXP should be C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    • Webpages are being cached. Try deleting all caches from internet explorer.
    • You made some syntax error in your host file (although your example seems to be correct). Try it for one site only, to test wether or not your changes have any effect at all.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Thanks,
    i have edited the correct file c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    When there is a change is hosts file I.E seems to work (as i wanted not loading the sites mentionend in hosts file) while on the other hand firefox is circumventing that.

Thanks again.
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

Webpages are being cached. Try deleting all caches from internet explorer.
    yes and do the same in Firefox..

Tools- Options then "Privacy" - Cache - Clear..

Clearing the cache is a good start.. also any temp files.. any temp files.. also check that nothing has edited the Hosts file while you weren't looking (paranoid aren't I?).. yeh yeh it works in IE ..I know..

Also.. is it just some link or ALL.. hard one to check I am sorry.. would be handy to know..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Originally posted here by Guus
    Your hosts-file is used by the TCP/IP protocol
    To clarify, it's used by IP to resolve the names into IP addresses.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?