Typing \\<host>\ADMIN$ and im getting password prompt. How can i pass through?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Typing \\<host>\ADMIN$ and im getting password prompt. How can i pass through?

Typing \\<host>\ADMIN$ and im getting password prompt. How can i pass through?

NOTE: This is for administrive purposes only! I really want to connect to my other computer, but when i get the prompt up this is the username HOST\Guest.
    I try the admin password, but it won't work. And i can't change the username either.
    And remember this is my own computer!
    Can someone help me?

ADMIN$ = Administrative Share. Usually, you need to have Admin rights on that machine to access. Its very simple.
    Guest cant access that (unless someone had changed the default rights of ADMIN$)
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Depending on which OS you are using (you need 2k/XP/2k3 for runas feature), open internet explorer as the admin account of that machine or domain admin (using runas feature) and then type that address into the address bar.

The account you are currently trying to connect with is not an authorized user.

Or, you can log off and back on as admin. I find the run as feature to be useful in a lot of situations.
    Since I can't figure out how to get windows explorer to run as another user, I use IE. (I have my default webpage set to "about:blank: so it doesn't go to any sites when I open it.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

So you mean that the Default Share is useless, and is no use? If i couldnt access the ADMIN$ then what would be the meaning of making that option possible to try accessing?

If im not totally wrong, that won't work. It doesn't work here atleast.

AOs Resident Troll
    I dont think thats what he was saying

I think that you are not using an account that has admin right on the machine you are trying to connect too???

try this

reset both machines local admin passwords to the same thing.
    now log on to one machine and try to connect to the other machine...should work

if not try the C$

AFAIK
    Depending on the OS the admin$ was\is used by network services\network apps\system stuff
    Maybe wrong though

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I think i have experienced a similar problem. When i attempted to connect to my dad's machine to move some Mp3's to burn to a cd on his computer i kept getting that box that box that ask to authenticate myself however it only gave the option of guest and the guest account was disabled. so i did some google-ing and the solution was found.

1.) Click on My Network Places
    &gt;2.) Under the Network Task Group select "Setup a Home or Small Office Network"
    &gt;3.) Follow the setup steps in the Wizard

I did this and voila! I was able to connect to his machine and from the command line i was able to use my dad's shared files including the network files by using the net share command

Originally posted here by morganlefay
    I dont think thats what he was saying

reset both machines local admin passwords to the same thing.
    now log on to one machine and try to connect to the other machine...should work

MLF

I dont think that any passwords need to be reset because if create shares through the net share command then you can login as a user from the target machine using "net share \\target\admin$ /user:target\userontarget"

If you do have admin rights on the target machine you can add those credentials when you are trying to connect in the manner you described:

net use \\&lt;targetmachine&gt;\IPC$ &lt;password&gt; /user:"&lt;username&gt;"

at least i think thats what the syntax is, let me know if its wrong, been a while :-)
    \"Common Sense, isn\'t that common\"
    \"It is a lot easier to raise a child then it is to repair an adult\"
    -Kruptos

what is IPC$ ?
    sometimes when trying to see shared folders on other PCs, im asked for passwords...
    i know its a default share, but what is it for?

A_T
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.