Thread: Portable Virtual Privacy Machine

Portable Virtual Privacy Machine

I found this awesome bit of software being distributed by Metropipe. Its a Linux Virtual Machine based on Damn Small Linux (i'm guessing based on the bootup screenshot, i haven't used it) that runs on Linux or WindowsXP off of a usb drive. All activity stays on the USB key such as cookies, history, cache files and such. It also has a program to SSH to a proxy server so that all communication is encrypted and source IP is masked. The proxy program relies on their server so it comes with a price tag. I'm not sure if the Virtual Privacy Machine requires it to work, but i'm thinking not. It'll run on any rewriteable drive. This is an awesome tool for those who want privacy on the go and an excellent one for looking at restricted sites at the workplace. Now all i need is a USB drive to give it a go. If anybody else tries it, tell me what you think.
    http://www.metropipe.net/ProductsPVPM.shtml
    Firefox is the included browser, and it comes with Thunderbird (with Enigmail plugins for PGP email encryption) and also has a persistent home directory.

enjoy

this could also be pretty helpful in recovery. If it is bootable (which I assume it is). Like a live CD
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare

i'd say some thing like a knnopix cd may be only better , knnopix does have a bit of hardware problem .

O.K. so what, Im drunk again ... but this one ticked me off .. More then the BS M$ has thrown as indicated in http://www.antionline.com/showthread.php?threadid=265109]Gen-U-Wine Windows[/URL]

First off, I don’t think it’s bootable! It requires an operating system to be running to open the device: from MetroPipe Products, http://www.metropipe.net/ProductsPVPM.shtml.
    This PR1 release runs on Windows and Linux - final release version will also run on OS X.
    Second:
    SOAPBOX TIME
    They just want your money. From Metropipe F.A.Q.
    We are die-hard believers in civil liberties, the Bill of Rights, and in entrepreneurship.
    They key here is entrepreneurship
    They could care less about “ civil liberties” and “ the Bill of Rights” ( I assume they are speaking of the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights, but they do not say ). All they care about is your money. The terms “civil liberties” and the “ Bill of Rights” are catch phrases. Where in either does it Guarantee a person anonymity in public forums? ( even here I can be tracked ... ? )

Nay, say you? How about this from their FAQ
    Australian Police Get Computer Spy Powers

While the Act limits the use of spyware technology to those cases that carry a sentence of more than three years, it is a serious blow to the expectation of privacy that computer users expect while conducting their affairs on their computer or online.
    What they are saying is that if the Australian Authorities have probable cause to believe you have committed a very serious offense against humanity ( my words, I am not familiar with Australian law, just basing it on the jail term ) They believe they should help protect you against such legal intervention into your privacy???? Balderdash They want your money!

Or again from their FAQ
    What if your privacy-enhancing services are used by criminals?

This question is asked about any new technology. Technology that increases power by definition increases an individual's power to do good as well as evil. Criminals use cars, telephones, electricity, and numerous other technologies to commit their crimes. It would be unreasonable to ban these technologies simply because they can be used by evil people.
    Who else would use it except the ignorant or overly paranoid? ( oh, wait a minute, I fit in that last group ... but I still would not use it ).

One more scare tactic from their FAQ
    Your ISP will divulge all of your records, including where and when you surf, any time they see a court order.
    I thought the ISPs had been fighting ridicules issued warrants ( too drunk and don’t care enough to research the sites ). The law swings like a pendulum and eventually that pendulum settles down to what is reasonable and prudent.

This is nothing more then attempt to get money from the people by scaring them to believe they need their service, which, if they are law abiding citizens, they do not. Hell, if they are that paranoid then let them run PHLAK. ( yes, their ISP would know, but hteir spouse woud not ).

Now, for the Owners of that site, I am a U.S. Citizen, entitled to my opinion as expressed herein and granted those rights under the U.S. Constitution and it’s Bill of Rights, and that is my opinion!
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Hey,

I've tried to give it a go, but all the links on the site can't be found. Even the .torrent doesn't work. It doesn't seem like a problem with their server...

Pity, it seems like a really cool thought.

Cheers,

DCheng

I finally downloaded a copy yesterday on my work pc, and later that evening at home I found the same problem DCheng did. and i checked it again as i typed this and it seems that that is till the current situation. I have a copy of it here at work, so i might seed my own torrent over the weekend and post it. and as far as the soap box comments go, the real reason of my post was not their "Tunneler" service, but just the software. The PVPM is free, and you don't need the tunneler for it to work. I fired it up while writing this, it was slow as hell (my work machine only has 128MB of RAM) but it worked beautifully. i clicked firefox, typed in Slashdot and bam, it pulled it up. so the tunneler service, the only thing that would cost anyone any money, was a nill issue, unless you see any value in it. not to criticize, just to point out to everyone. so counter-point, i doubt everyone agrees with all of their software's originating companies viewpoints. Its not the greatest situation, but if you think about it, the software is downloadable for free (when the link worked) so actually, by downloading and using it your costing them money. so your actually harming them. the trouble starts when you give them money to do their dirty work. so even if you don't agree with them, download their software, waste some bandwith (avoid the torrent for that one), and don't give them any money. you can even delete it right after the download if you have no desire to try it. bottom line is who cares what they stand for if their wasting their money to give you free stuff, the real problem is when you start giving them your money. no offense, IKnowNot, i just fealt the need for a lil soap box action myself. i rarely do this on this board as my almost non-existant amount of posts show.

We all need to let thongs out now and then ( too often for me lately though )

So this seems to be then another reason to disable usb ports and the like on business networks ?
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes