Pandering to the lowest common denominator
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pandering to the lowest common denominator

AO Ancient: Team Leader

Pandering to the lowest common denominator

DETROIT - The sign on the toilet brush says it best: "Do not use for personal hygiene."

That admonition was the winner of an anti-lawsuit group's contest for the wackiest consumer warning label of the year.

The sponsor, Michigan Lawsuit Abuse Watch, says the goal is "to reveal how lawsuits, and concern about lawsuits, have created a need for common sense warnings on products."

The $500 first prize went to Ed Gyetvai, of Oldcastle, Ontario, who submitted the toilet-brush label. A $250 second prize went to Matt Johnson, of Naperville, Ill., for a label on a children's scooter that said, "This product moves when used."

A $100 third prize went to Ann Marie Taylor, of Camden, S.C., who submitted a warning from a digital thermometer that said, "Once used rectally, the thermometer should not be used orally."
    Source

Does anyone except the terminally frigging stupid need these warnings?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Yes. The companies that make these products because if they don't they'll be sued until they go bankrupt.

Remember, coffee is hot.

But as the joke goes, if we just removed all the warning labels, stupidity would be eliminated. Rinkworks has a nice collection of them here. For those unaware, Rinkworks is more well known (to me, at least) for Computer Stupidities
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

A $100 third prize went to Ann Marie Taylor, of Camden, S.C., who submitted a warning from a digital thermometer that said, "Once used rectally, the thermometer should not be used orally.
    I hope they didn't get a complaint before they put that one on.

Sometimes on children's medicine you get the 'do not drive or operate heavy equipment' warning.

Dear Teacher.
    Please don't let Johnny play Tonka trucks at recess. He has a jag on.

Signed Epstein's mother
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

********** |ceWriterguy
    Kinda makes you wonder about the label on Sun Light dish detergent (the original lemony kind) - Do NOT Eat!

Alas, stupidity should be painful. These warning labels are well out of hand, and unfortunately for us, our legal system won't help in stopping it anytime soon.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

"Warning: choking hazard"

"Contents Hot"

"Remove wrapper before eating"
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

"Ambian" sleeping pill, warnings: "May cause drowsiness"

Warning on my curling iron: "Do not use internally"

I'm sorry, but that one just made me say What. The. F***.

Who would stick that inside themselves? And for what ungodly reason?
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Wet joy stick comes to mind.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Wet joy stick comes to mind.
    Oh, ow!
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    Shocking.