Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can spybot work with Firefox?

Question Can spybot work with Firefox?

Hey guys.

I just recently got Firefox installed, along with Spybot. I had Spybot blocking spyware on IE, but I noticed it doesn't do it with Firefox. Is there a way I can make Spybot work with Firefox?
    \"I ONLY DRINK THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES....and maybe a strawberry yoohoo....and a...Pina Co-la-da!...
    If you like pina coladas....ugh!, gettin\' caught in the rain....ugh!\"
    -Sarge

I use SpyBot 1.3 and have Firefox 1.0 as my default browser.
    SpyBot 's blocking capability works for me.

The description of Spyware is too dambed broad.. are we talking Cookies, activeX components...trojans.. etc etc

What Spyware Isn't Spybot blocking for you in firefox?
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Nothing. It isn't blocking anything. I think the problem is that I installed spybot a couple of days before I got firefox...so Spybot's been blocking IE. Fox is my default browser, yet bots not blocking it.
    \"I ONLY DRINK THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES....and maybe a strawberry yoohoo....and a...Pina Co-la-da!...
    -Sarge

Greeting's

Try spywareblaster from javacoolsoftware, it has ability to block spyware for both Firefox and IE.

get it here: www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

I also suggest you installing spywareguard just for some extra protection

www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html

Hope this help's
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

AdawareSEPlus , IMO, does a better job blocking malware than the free SpyWareBlaster.

Maybe firefox didnt let any spyware through yet, it's not the same as IE ....
    O.G at A.O

Maybe firefox didnt let any spyware through yet, it's not the same as IE ....
    Oh, it did. Using IE with Spybot didn't let anything though. As soon as I started using firefox, I got gator and stuff.

BTW, I'll try ur suggestions, thanks guys.
    -Sarge

You will not get the spyware that is injected into your system using exploits with firefox. BECAUSE THEY ARE IE BASED!!!

first, we need to clear something up.

SPYWARE does not magically get injected into your system. You have to click "Yes" somewhere. Maybe it's ActiveX which is asking you to click yes to run something on a website (which firefox won't allow). Maybe it's a java prompt asking you to install a java file on a website. Maybe its a program you installed that also installs spyware on the side (official aim client, for instance).

But it does NOT suddenly appear out of no where.

You did not get Gator from Firefox. You got gator because you allowed yourself to be fooled into clicking YES or INSTALL from a website that you should not have trusted.

Don't allow websites you don't trust 100% to install ANYTHING.

Don't allow programs you don't trust 100% to install ANYTHING.

The teatimer for spybot only works for IE, but all it does is prevent those CLICK YES popup windows from sites it knows that isn't to be trusted. Same for programs that would install spyware. teatimer won't allow them to install. However, firefox stops 95% of all spyware by not allowing you to ever use the security hole known as ActiveX. But, it still does show the pop-ups from sites that want you to install java-based software and the likes.

It's up to you to start clicking NO, stop installing spyware-filled programs (the official aim client), and turn off Java in Firefox unless you need it.