Thread: Slow mount: Solaris nfs server, Linux Clients

Slow mount: Solaris nfs server, Linux Clients

Here's the deal:

I've got a Sun Solaris 9 server (SPARC) on which my users' home directories, etc. are kept. I've got six Solaris 9 workstations and two Debian workstations, all SPARC as well. This setup works wonderfully - all of the SPARC boxes mount the nfs volume in a milisecond...
    -HOWEVER-
    I've got Slackware installed on my admin box - x86 (Pentum 4, to be exact)... When ever I try to mount the nfs drive on that box, it takes between 5 and 10 minutes... This isn't a problem in itself, but I've got six other x86 boxes I'm about to install Slackware and FC3 on, and they've GOT to mount that volume - and a lot faster than 5 minutes, too!... Funny - It almost sounds like a conflict w/ the architectures - but something tells me this isn't it - and even if it is, I still need a workaround...

I've done lots of Googlin', and even asked the same question at linuxforums.net/linuxquestions.net - but no success... So I thought I'd give the AOers a try...

Thanks alot,
    Wiski

[EDIT] I forgot to mention - I've tried several options in the mount command (wsize,rsize,etc.) - But these have had no effect) [/EDIT]

[EDIT2] See Attached - Tyr's my Slack x86 box and Thor's my Debian SPARC box... [/EDIT2]

My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

Make sure your portmap daemon is started. Check your logs for a timeout from the portmapper. If thats the problem just go to the rc.d dir and check your permissions on rc.portmap, make sure its starting.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

A thousand thanks, Maestr0...

Tried it out on a fresh FC3 box... worked like a charm... You were right about the portmapper in slack... I'd never had thought it... Wished I'd done that about three days ago...

Thanks again,

-Wiski
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online