Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Critical Windows fix on the way

AO French Antique News Whore

Critical Windows fix on the way

Microsoft has announced that it will release three patches for its Windows operating system next week.

The fixes, which will carry a maximum threat rating of "critical," will be issued Tuesday, the company said. Under its two-month-old advance notification program, Microsoft typically gives the public early notice of the number of updates it plans to deliver and of the severity of the vulnerabilities the updates fix.

The only other detail the software giant revealed Thursday was that people may have to restart their Windows systems for the patches to take effect.

Microsoft did not say whether the patches will fix several three-month-old flaws in Internet Explorer. A security group released code at the end of December that demonstrates how to take advantage of the security holes and compromise a computer. That disclosure caused a security information company to raise the threat of those flaws to "extremely critical" on Friday.

Perceived security problems with Internet Explorer have resulted in the top browser shedding market share to its open-source rival Firefox.
    Source : http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5517567.html
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Re: Critical Windows fix on the way

Originally posted here by SDK
    The only other detail the software giant revealed Thursday was that people may have to restart their Windows systems for the patches to take effect.
    They have to announce that now?

This, imo, is the most annoying thing about Windows. My AV updated itself and gave me a popup saying 'click here to restart your computer'. Sigh, so I clicked the [x], cause I didn't feel like restarting all of my downloads. (Pc restarts). Sigh, oh well.. I'll stop ranting now.

It's about time M$ did a good security update, Secunia has only had unpatched flaws listed for their products since who knows when..
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=745
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=746
    -- Be a part of the team! Join Protochaderin and help us build the game you want to play! --
    - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...m/devlogo2.gif -

[question]
    are all windows OS included in this list
    i meam 98 too...
    coz i use win 98se with a dual boot of win 2k sp4

BANNED
    How hard is it to restart your computer. Is it fun to bitch about every little thing?
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

yes it is a big deal sometimes

It may not be hard to restart your pc as such but it is a major hassle when you have to administer LANs full of PCs and also servers.

Some servers can take up to 30mins to fully reboot and even minimal servers take no less than 5 to 10 mins while this sounds like a short period of time it is not just that time; you have to notify all your users the server will be offline for a period of time you rarely get this info to everyone and someone loses something they are halfway through. Users and especially managemant do not understand the realities of these things nor do they care. It stops them working and costs companies money,

The update system on microsoft systems is bizzare to say the least, take the windows 2000 server family service packs you had to install windows media player in order to be able to install the service pack now why for the love of god would anyone want a media player on a frigging server
    now almost 90% of the security updates are for the media player some requiring yet more reboots.

I cannot remember the last i did any upgrades or updates on my *nix boxes that forced me to reboot the machine.

I am not a mad *nix zelout but it things like this that microsoft has to get a grip of we are forced to deal with a shoddy M$ approuch to producing stable secure code on a daily basis so the longer they bury there heads in the sand about this the more customers they are going to lose to alternatives.

Network admins have enough work to do without unnecessary reboots and additonal problems caused by the patches that fixes something but breaks 2 other things in the process.

yourdeadin: are all windows OS included in this list
    i meam 98 too...
    If the patches apply to 98 or IE, most likely. However support for 98 & ME will depart the earth.

Enter //support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean1 into the address bar or click Here: for information on the support lifespan of Windows 98/ME.

Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition support was scheduled to end on January 16, 2004. The continual evaluation of the Support Lifecycle policy revealed, however, that customers in the smaller and the emerging markets needed additional time to upgrade their product. Therefore, Microsoft will continue to support Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me through June 30, 2006.
    Connection refused, try again later.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

so now windows is making me to move over to linux . not my fault

Quit bitching.

Either stay with MS and deal with reboots and their normal crap, or come into the light.

Having to reboot once in a while is the price you pay for knowing that all your hardware is supported, and so on.

Either stay with MS and deal with reboots and their normal crap, or come into the light.
    rebooting is tough we ( my college ) hosts its own website (win2k3 server) so i don't think that they will be very happy with that
    Having to reboot once in a while is the price you pay for knowing that all your hardware is supported, and so on.
    well thats not true i paid Rs. 5000 for my original copy of windows 98,where as i can get linux for free with all the hardware support that i get for windows

lastly i am not bitching i am angry and i am complaining ;-)

lastly for relyt
    You must spread your AntiPoints around before giving it to Relyt again.

This isn't new or anything. But here is a blast from the past:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q276304