Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WinPatrol Update

WinPatrol Update

Hi, WinPatrol is now at version, 8.1.2.0, it is still free for private use

You can get it here:

http://www.winpatrol.com/

Cheers

Increase Your Speed & System Performance.
    Detect & Neutralize Spyware. Detect & Neutralize ADware.
    Detect & Neutralize Viral infections. Detect & Neutralize Unwanted IE Add-Ons.
    Detect & Restore File Type Changes Automatically Filter Unwanted Cookies.
    Avoid Start Page Hijacking. Detect HOSTS file changes.
    Kill Multiple Tasks that replicate each other, in a single step!
    Stop programs that repeatedly add themselves to your Startup List!
    Delete and Remove the most Stubborn Infections
    well i don get it ,it is as simple as keep up a fire wall and a good AV thats it you don need any thing else also use fire fox
    well may be for the
    Stop programs that repeatedly add themselves to your Startup List!
    and
    Kill Multiple Tasks that replicate each other, in a single step!
    no offence to nihil though

yourdeadin: well i don get it ,it is as simple as keep up a fire wall and a good AV thats it you don need any thing else also use fire fox…
    Either you are doggone lucky or don’t go online!

A short study on the relationships between a Firewall, AV, the not “End-all-of my-troubles Firefox”, and Malware, would have you downloading every piece of decent anti-spyware software on the Internet.

So please post your formula for success. I'm tired of downloading programs and updates!

cheers

edit: Thanks for the update Nihil
    Connection refused, try again later.

yourdeadin,

This is something of a multipurpose tool. I have used it on several occasions to resolve resource conflicts, because you can suspend startup processes and then launch them manually, so you can see what is conflicting with what much quicker than doing it "longhand"

It also has a decent "info" feature that tells you what is held on your PC about the origins of programs and processes. And it displays related icons.

I like the cookie manager, as you can filter by keyword, or part thereof. It allows the cookie in, then kills it AFTER the website thinks it has been successfully planted.

Best of all, because it is a behavioural tool (it doesn't use pattern files or whatever) it only takes up about 900k in its installation format.

I notice that it now supports various flavours of Mozilla as well as IE (that is new).

Please do not think that a firewall and AV will protect you They are really not that good when it comes to adware, spyware and trojans.

As it is very small, why not download it and take a look?

Cheers

I never found a good use for it, maybe im using it wrong?

Relyt
    So please post your formula for success. I'm tired of downloading programs and updates
    its a secert,but i'll share it with u
    bring ur ears closer don't download stuff from internet
    get some computer mag cd get everything u need from there and thats it

nihil

It also has a decent "info" feature that tells you what is held on your PC about the origins of programs and processes. And it displays related icons.

I like the cookie manager, as you can filter by keyword, or part thereof. It allows the cookie in, then kills it AFTER the website thinks it has been successfully planted.

Best of all, because it is a behavioural tool (it doesn't use pattern files or whatever) it only takes up about 900k in its installation format.
    yes i totally agree with that but
    Please do not think that a firewall and AV will protect you They are really not that good when it comes to adware, spyware and trojans.
    i am not on that ,for adware , spyware and stuff i rather use the ol Relisable
    hijacj ths

what i belive
    [personal opinion]

antispyware are also a kind of spyware ,its a whole vicious never endig cycle .
    may be i am wrong

i also go with oofki, ive never found those tools use ful

thanx

Hey, yourdeadin...............we are not arguing here I feel, just approaching from different angles?

I feel that it is useful to clarify our positions for the benefit of guests etc. reading this forum?

You say that you like HijackThis!..................well, so do I, but please allow me to present this scenario to you:

You get several machines a week that have basically nothing wrong with them except the user has loaded that "application too far" or they are choked with malware? Now, I would normally charge a fixed fee.............and most of this stuff has built up over time.............so we are looking at 100-300 bits of malware.........are you going to use HJT or tools?

I would use tools because I would prefer to work for $50 per hour than $5

My other point would be that I can send a user away, knowing that they can use AdAware SE, Ewido, SwatIT, SpyBot S&D and run online AV scans.................I won't be there for them all the time. That will get rid of most of the malware so their system will at least work OK?

Now, your system and mine get very little of this stuff, and if we do, it is probably too exotic to be caught by the tools. So we use HJT and the like..................I would not like one of my customers using that, as I would probably have to charge for a re-format and re-install

We are talking about different environments/situations, I think?

Cheers

Im still confuzed about why I would use it, people say it is great but I dont get it? It is pretty much a compilcation of useful tools but maybe because I know what is supposed to be in the hijackthis logs and I know how to do all of thethings it does manually and I am so used to doing it, to me it seems useless? But please explain if I am missing something. I download it every once in a while because people talk about it.

So I guess my question is, Nehil what do you do with it? And what exactly is your occupation if you dont mind me asking. Are you a tech like me?

OK oofki,

That is a fair question that I will attempt to answer.............remember, I will still talk to you even if you don't use the tool

It has an option to show the start menu and what is in it....................OK malware you can get rid of by other means, but suppose you have a software load conflict or deadly embrace? You can use it to suspend startups at a single mouseclick, then re-instate them the same way.

The cookie manager is cool.............it only used to work with IE but now it will support Mozilla derivatives. I can accept and destroy cookies from AO, Microsoft and anybody.

When you look at startup programs, you can see the ICON, same for running processes.

OK I don't use it for a lot of what it is supposed to do, but I have found it useful

Anyway, a tool that works is always potentially good?

Cheers

Okay I guess that works for some people but I guess I just have no use for it then. When I i view start up items i use msconfig or hijack this and I guess I wouldnt use for the cookie part. And you didnt answer me, whats your occupation?