Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WinPatrol Update

And you didnt answer me, whats your occupation?
    #

Please accept my apology, I missed that bit out in my answer.

I have been involved in IT since 1970 in various roles. Fundamentally I am an analyst/project manager; but I came up through a different background. I got involved with PCs in the early 1980s

I discovered how to take them to bits, and how to build one ....and I am going back to when 8meg of RAM cost $180

I do projects, but I live in a community where there are very few IT technicians, so I have to do stuff like upgrades, cleanouts and the like, for friends and family, and their friends..................it is a sort of second job?

I hope that answers your question............if not, please feel free to PM me

Cheers,

Johnno

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I will back up Nihil here......

I recommend this tool to all my 650 users for their home machines and for anyone else that will listen. There is no simpler tool for a user to install and for me to train to use.... The training consists of the following:-

"If the Scotty Dog ever pops up and says that something just tried to install itself on your computer or change your homepage think to yourself 'Did I just install a program or change my homepage'?, if the answer is no tell Scotty Dog to block it by saying 'NO'"

Training complete.... Is it a "perfect" product? No, of course not... But it catches almost everything that tries to autostart itself, which is a good thing for every standard (L)user....

Then, as Nihil alludes to, it is a good little tool for running your own quick troubleshooting on pre-XP systems because it gives nice quick acces to all the startups and services with the ability to disable without deleting them, (disabled drop to the bottom of the list). I have used it on numerous occasions for just this.

Lastly, and most important, the concept of the little Scotty Dog, that protects your computer and barks at you when someone bad tries to do something to the computer is "cute" for the users and makes them want to use it..... That is, by far, it's best feature.... and their kids love it....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

well Tea Timer with Spybot does that just not as cute.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    For your _average_ user..... "Cute" really, really works.... Trust me.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Hey guys,

I am not saying "you must use this tool", what I am saying is more like "you may find this tool useful in certain circumstances"

Remember that some of us are not dealing with the cognoscenti (the knowledgeable) we are dealing with Joe Public users?

roger that, for the end user, cute and simple is priceless I just must to be "too good" for this prog lmao

Hey, do remember that there are others? take a look and see if you might not recommend it to others?

Well for an entry level wanna be tech it would be a great all in one tool to mess around with start up entrys and such. And btw thanks for posting your work history!

You get several machines ................................................. I would use tools because I would prefer to work for $50 per hour than $5
    yes,fair enough but i am a single pc user
    so not much of my use
    thanx

I'm with Nihil and Tiger Shark on WinPatrol as well: it's a very nice protection tool against spyware and things that try to autostart.

I find RegistryProt by Diamond CS (www.diamondcs.com.au/regprot) is handy too but more geared for the *techie* than average user. It's also a little better at what it catches but offers very little details compared with WinPatrol...hence why is better for *techies*.

Just my .002