AMD XP 3000+ OC problem

Thread: AMD XP 3000+ OC problem

AMD XP 3000+ OC problem

Hi, i just recently purchased an AMD XP 3000+ /w 400Mhz Fsb see here. I'm running an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard with the most recent bios and a brand new 550 watt PS. I also have 768MB of DDR 400 memory. I've tried many diffrent settings and i cannot even run the multiplier at 11x @ 1.65v which supposably was intended to be 3200+ speeds and was to be recognized as one as well. The computer will crash upon booting windows at any other speed than stock. As far as i know these cpus are supposed to be unlocked already, but perhaps they started locking them recently. If anyone knows how to unlock the cpu or perhaps i'm doing something wrong and one could provide a OCing guide I would greatly appretiate it.

What is your FSB clockspeed setting? 200?

I don't really know why you are bothering, it's natural speed is 2.1GHz. Clocking it at 200 x 11 gives you 2.2GHz...................that's only 4.7%, hardly worth the effort IMHO. In terms of perceived/actual performance it will be next to nothing.

just my thoughts.............based on the extra heat and the reduction in processor life.

Well...the thing is i want to get more speed out of that cpu if possible...

I have heard rumors of this CPU being ran at 2.6GHz running 208 FSB(although mine is at 200 at the moment) at 12.5x and 1.8v....if it cannot be done thats fine but i wanna make the attempt. I'll soon be purchasing a new CPU cooler if this setting is possible

Anyone with some guides or solutions please give your input. It will not go to waste.

Mex~

Sorry for sounding a bit thick, but you are saying that it will not run at 200 x 11?

Are you overclocking your video card by any chance ? If so, set it back to factory default and try overclocking the CPU FIRST. The reason I say that is that you generally have much more control over the video card overclock, and can build it up gradually.

I'll soon be purchasing a new CPU cooler if this setting is possible
    If you don't do that first, you will be purchasing a new CPU even sooner Whilst you are at it get an exhaust fan...................they are flat and take up the space of a PCI slot. Cost about $5-$10 and evacuate 40-60 cubic feet a minute

Cheers

I am aware that the cooler master cpu fan i have now is not sufficient for that degree of an OC but what i am trying to find out is if it's even possible. I cannot get it running even at 200 x 11...anything higher than the factory 10.5 will cause my computer to crash upon boot. BUT...yes i am overclocking my video card. I have an Ati Radeon 9500 Pro with the 9700 mod(using a custom bios to allow overclocking. The card is recognized as 9700/9700 pro) with the core running at 330mhz and the memory at 290mhz. I am using Rage 3d tweak to do the OCing. I will however, try your method. One other thing i do notice...my computer seems to crash right when my zonealarm pro loads up after my norton.....weird.

If you know any websites with articles on OCing your cpu that would also be helpful

Thanks for your input.

Hmmmm

If you have Norton it probably does not get on with Zone Alarm. Norton is notorious for conflicts, particulatly with other security software.

OK that is an easy one, I hope

Go here and get WinPatrol

http://www.winpatrol.com/

Go to the "Startup Programs Tab" and "disable" Zone Alarm Pro. See if that makes any difference.My approach is to do the overclocking with the minimum of applications running. Then load them up when I have gotten it stable. I don't really need the internet or security tools until I have a stable system.

http://www.overclockers.com/

That is the top site for overclocking information.

Thanks a lot....i will see what i can make of this...hopefully it turns out ok.

Please let us know how you get on. I haven't done any recently, but there was a time when I was quite heavily into O/C.

My best was a P4 2.26 running at 3.066, and that was back when you couldn't buy a 3Gig processor.