Thread: Forum restriction

Forum restriction

First, just wanted to say thanks - I've found your site to be an invaulable souce of information. I do have one issue. I noticed that your forum for Antionline Addicts is restricted, for the following stated reason:

"A forum for people who have a good knowledge of computers/security & who do not post meaninglessly. You must have 275 posts under your belt before you're able to view the threads in this forum."

Three comments:
    1. I don't see any correlation between these two statements, especially because:
    2. This policy would seem to encourage frivolous posts in order to meet the standard.
    3. I don't see the necessity of screening here - after all overall you are providing information for people to educate themseleves which should ultimately benefit the entire community. I don't see the value of this elistism.

My $0.02 worth; and now I'm only 274 away.

I guess I agree with #2 but #3 to me is a privilage. But it isnt up to you and it isnt up to me now is it?

Welcome, your Eminence

The bit we do behind closed doors is that there are no French, pseudo ecclesiastical, prime ministers allowed...............(Cardinal Richelieu?)

Hell man, it took me months to get my mates Atilla and Ghengis accepted................well known pinko liberals that they are

I do hope that you have a sense of humour and a knowledge of history?

Signed:

The Three Musketeers (AO Addicts)

Banned
    Get over it. There's threads about this subject already floating around and no one cares. Addicts is nothing special, just troll gossip and a bunch of other incoherent bullshit by people who think they're better than us.

I dont think what any one is saying should be said. Good luck to you rebels.

I like to think I have a sense of humor and knowledge of history...

Basically, I have pretty liberal standards when it comes to information hoarding. I'm not challenging the fact that it is or isn't my decision to make - the site admin can do whatever they like. The issue for me is that occasionally you find a post that sends you off into some entirely new direction where you learn something new (sometimes what you were looking for, and best of all sometimes something you weren't).

That's all I was getting at.
    \"If you give me six lines written
    by the most honest man, I will find
    something in them to hang him.\" C.R.

Don't let ;TT discourage your and don't think that the Addicts forum is anything more than what you see in the other forums. It's just a bennie of being around for a while. Like a few others, such as a custom avatar. They really don't mean anything beyond that.

Like nihil said, have a good sense of humor and watch out for his history lessons.

Hey Cardinal,

Don't worry ... soon enough, you will be there if you participate actively on the site. What's most important is sharing knowledge and exchanging ideas ... not access to one additional forum ...

Unless of course, one cares about status more than value and content ... but then, that person would be on the wrong site.

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule