Newbies 1st Spyware question...

Thread: Newbies 1st Spyware question...

Question Newbies 1st Spyware question...

Can a person use freeware from the net, eg. Spybot or AdAware on their computer in a networked work environment without detriment to the network.. stange question I'm not sure, my partner works in a small accounting firm who I think is held to ransome by a less than reputable IT "consultant". More questions to follow and I'm hoping for some good info from this website. It comes highly recommended!
    Cheers,
    Macca

Yes, You can use 'freeware' without detriment to your network. Of course, some freeware will cause harm, most does not. Spybot and AdAware are good examples. I see no reason why such a consultant would say that Spybot or AdAware is harmful ( Well, I can see you reason, to mark up other AV and sell it back to you ). Of course this should be taken with a grain of salt. Spybot and AdAware are not the only AV you should be running; they target only certain types of virus ( I say spyware and adware is a type of virus, if anyone disagrees, please call me out ), a very limited type. There are thousands (if not millions) of other viruses. But I'm off track. I disagree with your buddy's 'consultant'. Freeware can be fine, most times helpful, to your network, but err on the side of caution. Don't download some program without doing a little research. Spybot and AdAware are from reputable companies, and many people ( many reputable people and companies ) have reviewd these programs, with high remarks, so I would say they are OK. ( I use both and as far as I can tell, they have not harmed my network )
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    I see no reason why such a consultant would say that Spybot or AdAware is harmful
    Applications such as Adaware and Spybot make changes to the Windows registry. A lot of ISPs recommend using Adaware to remove spyware off of customers PC. Also, thats why ALL ISP's read a legal disclaimer to the customer before giving out the URL to the customer. Which basically saying its not our software aswell as were not responsible to what ever happens to your PC after downloading such applications. IMO the consultant sounds like he knows what he is talking about to me. Adware Excellent software does it job, but also makes changes it shouldnt. Thats my two cents. Computernerd22

Easyway
    (addinfo)
    For SpyBotSD I can recommend first that you must install it on computers that will use it.
    Efter that just remove installed dir.
    And use one copy of inatall dir on you server in some folder for all computers in you network.

As I know that SpyBot need just some files somtimes for removing some types of spyware but it works fine without them too, just can show some errors sometimes about missing files.
    ---------------
    Ad-Aware contains just two files, one exe and one def.ref
    So you can use it directly from server.
    ---------------
    Both of them working from write protected folders fine.
    And can be configured for autoupdate.
    ---------------
    Today found that microsoft have also one AntiSpyware Beta1 version now, but i have not tested yet.
    Microsoft HomePage for antispyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
    // too far away outside of limit

aside from the free version of adaware being for personel use, it shouldnt cause any technical problems (but maybe legal?)
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Computernerd:

Adware Excellent software does it job, but also makes changes it shouldnt. Thats my two cents. Computernerd22
    Why is there a Windows registry in the first place? Would you care to do a re-write? (for free?)

Macca, freeware is free................like you can use it but you have no comeback on the supplier.........there are a few self-appointed "consultants" who do not like "freeware" because there is no-one to sue............................errr.............name me any software supplier who has been successfully sued by a user in the last twenty years?

The man is talking bollix

But remember, guys need to feed their kids................so if you use something, make damn sure that you pay for it

Cheers

Thumbs up Thanking all contributers

Thanks guys, getting sme good reading here and looking forward to hearing a few more peoples thoughts on this issue.