Hard Drive help

Thread: Hard Drive help

Angry Hard Drive help

hiya i just bought a 120gig Western Digital Hard drive it was suppose to be brand new i plugged it into my computer and the first time it found it and was installing drivers i guess but then it wasn't listed in my computer but it was in the hardware profile so i restared and it started making these clicking sounds and now it is not found at all. The only thing i did was change the jumper settings to cs and then when it started clicking i tried it alone on master and together with my other drive on slave that couldn't screw it up could it? does anyone know what could be wrong with it? do i have to format it somehow when u first get it?
    any help would be very appeciated.

and also does anyone know what head parking does or what its for?

thanx

AOs Resident Troll
    TRy the drive on its own...as Master...

Does the bios autodetect it??

If it still doesnt work...and is making "clicking" sounds...take it back to where you bought it and get a new one.

On the harddrive there should be a manufacturer date....

Yes you have to format the drive...and depending on the OS...you can to use disk manager to add it, partition it, format it etc

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

tried it as a master on its own and still doesn't work makes those clicking sounds no it isn't detected anymore

the first time i put it in it was detected then went into windows and installed it but wasn;t showing up in the my computer so i restarted and then thats when the clicking started and now won't detect it any way i try

the date on it is aug 2004 so then it must be defective? is there any way to fix it cuz i won't be able to get to that store till next week and figures my main drive is dying so now i am screwed. Trust my luck to get the defective one LOL but if it did detect it the first time how could it just stop. i didn't do anything to it at all

AOs Resident Troll
    You could contact WD directly for the manufacturers warranty...which is usually a year.

They may send you one right away.

Harddrives fail all the time......

Thats what backups are for.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

ah yeah i think i will do that see what they say