SSH on a Red Hat 9.0 VM guest question

Thread: SSH on a Red Hat 9.0 VM guest question

SSH on a Red Hat 9.0 VM guest question

Hello,

For the sake of exploration I have created a VM Ware Red Hat 9.0 guest OS on my Windows XP host.

Now this is where things get complicated so I will try and explain the best I can...

I have three working computers connected to the same router.

computer1 : IP address 192.168.0.100
    computer2: IP address 192.168.0.101
    |
    |
    -------->>> Red Hat 9.0 VM guest IP 192.168.213.128

computer3: IP address 192.168.0.102

I am trying to setup an SSH service on my Red Hat guest. Now I can connect to the SSH service while im on the Red Hat guest. For instance... 'ssh 127.0.0.1' is successful. I can also connect to the guest OS's SSH service on my host Windows XP Box using the PuTTY client. For instance 'ssh 192.168.213.128' is successful.

However, I cannot get my other computers to connect to the guest Red Hat OS. For instance 'ssh 192.168.213.128' from both IP's 192.168.0.100 and 192.168.0.102 is not successful.

The weird thing is that I am able to ping all the computers from my guest OS just fine. However, I am not able to ping my guest OS from my computers except the one that is hosting the OS?

Please help me with this problem, I have tried my best to explain this rather complicated situation, however if anything is unclear I will try ******** things.

Appreciate all your help.
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Could I enquire if you have XP or other firewall set up on the XP host OS?

My first point of examination would be to see if it blocks incomming port 22 - Run NMAP from both the host OS and one of the other machines and compare the results.

edit:

Just another thought, check your subnet for your network - If your subnet is 255.255.255.0 then the packets will be going ot the default gateway - Change the subnet to 255.255.0.0 should assist.

further edit:

Your VMWare may be doing NAT translation (just like a router) between the RH9 Guest and XP Host OS. I beleive it is possibe to change VMWare not to use NAT - Bridged networking sounds like what you need.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Ok, what you were saying about changing from NAT to bridged sounded like it might work. I changed to bridged networking but now I can't get my Red Hat Guest to connect to the internet. I have tried assigning my IP statically and that activated the eth0 but it wouldn't get on to the WWW. After that I tried letting DHCP take care of that for me automatically but when I type 'ifup eth0' it tells me that there is no link present?

Is this because I have to do something with my router in order for my guest OS to communticate with it?

Please shed some light on this, thanks.

edit: Problem solved- if anyone else stumbles across this thread with the same difficulty then do this...

Simply edit these files..
    etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
    etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

type at the bottom of each,

check_link_down(){
    return 1;
    }

and then try to activate eth0 again and it should work. I don't really know why, I guess RH9 is a little buggy in that reguard? But anyway, thanks for the help Steve I should be able to get it to work now ^^

The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...