Hacking Coke Machines
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hacking Coke Machines

Hacking Coke Machines

Coke vending machines are everywhere. They're getting more and more like regular computers with LEDs that show little "ICE COLD" messages and whatnot. Well, there's a lot more to those little built-in computers than you may think. Included in the low-level operating system that these babies run on is an actual debug menu that gives you access to all sorts of machine information and possibly gives you free cokes in older machines.
    http://www.i-hacked.com/Misc/Random-...-Machines.html

This article (Published 26/11/2004(d/m/y)) is not too relevant for myself, as i have never seen these machines (closest is the pay via mobile messages) in Adelaide Australia. However, it does let you inside the corporate thinking and marketing ideas of companies, and how often their security team overlooks certain aspects, or allows stolen Codes to be published on the net.

The codes allow:
    CASH - Machine Earnings Display
    SALE - Total Sale Count
    VER - System/Machine Version?
    EROR - Error Log
    RTN - Return
    EXTRAS
    CPO - Coin Payout Mode
    many more options aswell

All discussed in this articles by Fire and Kyint on www.i-hacked.com/
    http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affili...88x31/take.gif
    If You\'ve Done Something Right. People Wont Know You\'ve Done Anything At All - God (futurama)

Typically this is not something you want to post around here. unless you were aiming for personal use you dont want to be throwing things around that can lead into ppl getting into trouble and problems.

On the same note it is interesting that that would something someone would spend their time attempting to hack or waste time on. Do any of those codes really mean anything to someone that is not part of the coke corp. prolly not. Maybe some marketing ideas but nothing more. Is it a good way to get into trouble and law problems messing around with? YES.

Is the article interesting? YES. Some good info and decent read.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

If i'll get a free coke, i'll hack it This is interesting, the site aint bad either, havent seen it before...
    StreetsCrack.com Join The Best Music Social Network Online. Music downloads, promotions, forums, profile, games etc...

this was recently featured in 2600
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare

Banned
    Fall 2004's 2006 magazine has an almost identical article (although much shorter) "Hacking Soda Machines" by MeGaBiTe1...

Edit: what dmorgan said

This isn't new at all. Hell I remember me and my friends being broke and thirsty dumping Salt water in an Old coke machine because it makes all the pop inside fall out. Probably not something Coke liked but I was thirsty and had no money.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by gore
    This isn't new at all. Hell I remember me and my friends being broke and thirsty dumping Salt water in an Old coke machine because it makes all the pop inside fall out. Probably not something Coke liked but I was thirsty and had no money.
    Salt water?!?!? I remember the old college trick of laminating a dollar bill, punching a hole in the laminate, and tieing fishing line through the hole to yank the bill back out after the bill reader granted you a can. Never saw/did it myself, but I did find a trashcan full of unopened can's next to a coke machine one night...guy must have needed the quarters bad

What the hell does saltwater do (or what DID it do, back then) to cause the cans to dump?
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    Heck I will just back my car up into the coke machine if I'm that desperate.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Wow. And here I thought this was about the old hack done at several schools where they attached a monitor to tell them when the Coke (pop) was cold so they didn't have to go up 2-3 floors to get the pop in a lukewarm state.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

********** |ceWriterguy
    What the hell does saltwater do (or what DID it do, back then) to cause the cans to dump?
    Saltwater is highly conductive and does many naughty things to the electronic inner workings of the machine. I'll leave the possibilities to your imagination, but free coke is the least of them.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!