Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stupidity on the SUSE security list

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Originally posted here by phishphreek80

Telnet?! Who the hell uses telnet?! I wouldn't touch telnet outside of my private LAN.

Up until last semester, they still allowed telnet sessions into a *nix box that houses our school web pages and email. My teacher (who was a network admin) always used telnet instead of ssh. Her reason? She didn't like the putty client they put on there. She just liked to open up a command line and type telnet. So... is anyone interested in the current online Cisco Academy Curriculum?
    I don't even use telnet on my own private lan, hehe...it's the absolute first service to be disabled and the telnet command, both static and dynamically linked binaries, deleted and relinked to "ssh" along with aliasing the commands into the generic profile skeleton. Following that is ftp...

As for your "network admin teacher", that's so like so many typical "end lusers", to dislike something because of the way it looks.

Originally posted here by thehorse13
    Niiiiiiiice.

I called up my contact down at the Pentagon and trust me, this will be handled swiftly.

Sometimes I wonder how the hell a missle hasn't been launched through the stupidity of people like this.
    We have bunker-buster missiles that couldn't even get through that amount of stupidity, hehe...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

User stupidity never amazes me anymore. I've seen some of the biggest idiots on Earth sitting in front of a computer.

Here's one to "warm the cackles of your heart..."

I encountered a lot of resistance from management wanting to deploy SSH and close down telnet and ftp. Why? They (and these are IT managers) believed SSH would prove too difficult to deploy on an enterprise basis and that it would be unlikely that anyone could compromise our systems from telnet. No - I'm serious - they told me that.

So, following official channels, I asked for a sniffer trace test to show the traffic of someone logging into a server with telnet. Then I presented this to the managers again and told them it took about 15 seconds to do that. They approved SSH to be deployed and to shut down telnet immediately.

However - I am asked by other managers to this day why telnet is a problem. Some IT managers I have run into and then over, did not know what telnet or SSH was.

And people wonder why I have broken stress balls from time to time.
    \"An ant may well destroy a whole dam.\" - Chinese Proverb
    \"Not only can water float a craft, it can sink it also.\" - Chinese Proverb

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=764