Is it possible...?

Thread: Is it possible...?

Is it possible...?

First, please don't flame me...there is a really good reason why I am asking this (pertains to my job).......
    As for the question, is it possible to extract the contents of a MSI file, then replace/inject files to contain spyware/adware/etc. then package the msi file back to normal so that it looks "normal" or unchanged? Will windows installer recognize this and not allow the loading of the files, or will it continue on its merry way?

As an example...one would have a MSI file, replace some dll files for instance which are the same name, just different file contents, repackage the MSI and distribute it.
    Sex is like \"Social Security\". You get a little each month, but it\'s not enough to live on.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    One of the tools that Microsoft supplies to view and modify installer packages is called Orca. You can find it in the Windows Installer section of the Platform SDK; the installation package is (what else?) an installer package called ORCA.MSI. After you’ve installed it, you’ll find that the right-click context menu on Windows Installer files (notably packages, MSI files and merge modules, MSM files) allows you to open and edit them.
    Source

So the answer would be yes.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

There is also a product called Winstall, which I believe is from Veritas. There was a working demo version of it on the Windows Server 2000 CD-ROM, under the VALUEADD directory, I think. I'd have to go digging through some CDs a while to find it, but I keep it installed on a test machine so I can manipulate MSI packages.

Do you know if once that MSI is altered, can you turn it back into an EXE file? (short of zipping with winzip etc.)
    Sex is like \"Social Security\". You get a little each month, but it\'s not enough to live on.