Thread: Media state disconnected error

Exclamation Media state disconnected error

This is my second thread regarding the same problem.The last time I posted the thread wasnt answered correctly.
    I am getting MEDIA STATE DISCONNECTED when I run ipconfig.The status of my wireless connection is not connected.I have service pack 2 installed..of course I'm running win xp.
    My wireless adapter is intel wireless.I am using a laptop and the adapter is internal.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Uh huh. And what's the issue? Evidentally the wireless adapater can't connect. This could be for any number of reasons:

• - incorrect WEP key
      - incorrect WPA key
      - not using WEP/WPA when WEP/WPA enabled
      - using WEP/WPA when WEP/WPA not enabled
      - cannot find the AP
      - AP is crap
      - wireless NIC is crap

Perhaps you could give a little more details as to what it is that's going on and what you've tried.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I tried re entering the WEP key just to make sure that the numbers are correct.SSID is correct as well.I didnt check the box for WPA encryption.I tried rebooting my pc.The NIC driver shows that it is working.

BANNED
    Does your card support WEP or authorization via shared key? If not you'd have to turn off WEP or auth via shared key if you have it on orbuy a new card that does support it. If you don't have money to buy a new card turn turn on mac address filtering and limit the number of wireless connections your AP will accept.
    But this is all a shot in the dark since you don't say exactly what kind of card you are using what AP and you don't refrence the thread you had going before so I don't know what other people suggested.
    Why didn't you just repost in the original thread and say that it didn't work???
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

What's AP?

I'm sure that my card supports WEP.It worked before.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    AP = access point (usually a wireless router).

Perhaps you might want to start first setting up the AP without any encryption to ensure you can connect and then step-by-step turn on various security options rather than go "whole hog" right out of the box.

Or just not use it.

I'm sure that my card supports WEP.It worked before.
    Before what?! Before man landed on the moon? Before Apple released the iPod?!
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

BANNED
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/AP.html
    You should bookmark that page so you can look up abbreviations that you know have to do with computers. So that you don't have to post just to ask what an AP is.
    Quit double posting and list some of the info you were asked for or your not going to get much help...
    What kind of card is it? what kind of access point are you using?
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

ok..i'll try to set it up without using data encryption.tnx