Thread: how to remove domain

how to remove domain

I have just reformated by windows 2k sever, In my network place, I still see the old domain while i have formatted my computer and created new one.

I would like to erase the old domain, can anyone give me the way pls. Thanks

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Are there other computers on your network... if so they will contain references to the old domain until the records go stale and are erased....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

It is extremely important that you demote your PDC before removing it from the domain. The amount of minor issues i have had with that after the other IT guy thought it would work, its not worth the effort sometimes.

So we're assuming you had a domain bradbrad.local on your Win2k Server ? You have now formatted your 2k server, and reinstalled win2k server ? But now your client machines are picking up the old bradbrad.local and new domain bradbrad2.local?

Could you explain your problem a little more,

oh and if its just client machines, make sure their removed from the domain (usually whilst the domain still exists) and windows will eventually clear its cache.
    http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affili...88x31/take.gif
    If You\'ve Done Something Right. People Wont Know You\'ve Done Anything At All - God (futurama)

Originally posted here by Double//Cut
    So we're assuming you had a domain bradbrad.local on your Win2k Server ? You have now formatted your 2k server, and reinstalled win2k server ? But now your client machines are picking up the old bradbrad.local and new domain bradbrad2.local?

Could you explain your problem a little more,
    . [/B]
    I didn't dcpromo the the old domaon, my bad . All i did is reformatted and reinstall win2kserver again. I also had another PDC which i replicated the active directory, when i want to dcpromo the member pdc, it wants the main PDC, which i formatted and can't do anything there.

Worse i did is as soon as i reinstall the OS, create newdomain.com in active directory create the new scope, and i left the IP address same as the old domain and i also created the same range of scope. and change the configuration in the clients system configuration with new domain. I create new users.As I tend to connect to new domain from client as a administrator it says *cannot connect to the server,may be sever is shutdown or you do not have privillage or something like that*. I also tried to connect as a user which i newly created, there it says access denied.

dunno where to start

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    Are there other computers on your network... if so they will contain references to the old domain until the records go stale and are erased....
    I have. None of them can connect . I assume same will happen or i have to reformat whole network right? I will loose everything

Hi

I can vaguely remember that we had issues while upgrading to 2k quite a while
    ago. We used a trick[1], to circumvent the access denied message which is
    caused by the fact, the the "old users" are not part of the new 2k domain.
    You may be lucky to get access (a null connection doesn't work, hence the
    error message), and start to work from there (trusted relations, migrate, dunno).

I couldn't check this, so it may not work and be just crap . Good luck.

Cheers

[1] http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257942
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)