Bank tosses old ATM, forgets to take out cash

Thread: Bank tosses old ATM, forgets to take out cash

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

I don't think I'd want to deal with this bank.

Source: Toronto Star

OSLO, Norway (AP) Arild Tofte and Kaare Heggdal know that recycling pays, but they weren't quite prepared for the jackpot that a scrapped cash machine contained.

It was still full of cash. Enough to buy a house and take a luxury vacation. The two Norwegians run a recycling company in the western Norway town of Aaroedalen, and had been hired by the Sparebanken Moere bank to remove an outdated automatic teller machine from a gas station.

Tofte, 30, said the woman on duty at the gas station was more than a little skeptical when two men showed up with a trolley and a truck, wanting to remove her ATM.

"She calmed down when I explained that the machine was empty and that we had a contract to pick it up," Tofte told the local Romsdals Budstikke newspaper.

During their rounds to pick up more scrap, they got a call saying a security guard was seeking the machine.

"The guy was apparently a bit agitated," said Tofte. "He was very eager to empty the cash from the machine."

The cash was removed. The bank which blamed the incident on a communications mix-up didn't say how much was in the ATM. But Tofte said the guard who emptied the machine told him it was enough to buy a house, take a luxury vacation and still have money to burn
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    But Tofte said the guard who emptied the machine told him it was enough to buy a house, take a luxury vacation and still have money to burn
    Damn those Norwegians are weird? Buy a house, take a vacation, and burn the rest of the money! pfff. lol bad joke.

Sounds like a recent 'accident' at where I used to work. One day four hundred dollars or so of food dissapeared from our back storage area. Only to find out the recent hire of ganatior from Ukranie threw it away because he misunderstood my bosses words of what was trash and what was not. But hey, no matter...

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    There's a bank right here in my city where a teller was arrested and charged for withdrawing almost 200,000 dollars out of people's accounts. Moral: don't let the teller see your pin number!!!

Most banks don't manage their own ATMs off site. The logisitcs and safety issues are a nightmare. So they subcontract them with specialized companies. At least in the USA.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.