Slow Linux INternet

Thread: Slow Linux INternet

Question Slow Linux INternet

Alright, I just loaded Mandrake Linux 10.1 on my laptop and everything was fine once I configured the BootLoader properly and could actually boot to it. Now the issue is when I access the internet it is SOOOO SLOW.

I boot to windows and run the net, and the pages come up lightning fast.
    I'm using Mozilla and KDE 3.2 Desktop. Is there a setting I'm missing. I mean I'm on a T1 get a valid IP and everything but its just slower than dialup.

Any Help Would be Great.

There has been a problem with the ipv6 implementation in the 2.6 kernel used in mandrake 10.0 that slowed down dns requests even for ipv4. I'm not sure if it still affects 10.1 but it would be worth investigating.
    What happens if you try the IP of a site instead of its dns address (ie: google.com is 66.102.7.99)

I added the following two lines:
    Try adding those 2 lines:
    alias ipv6 off
    alias net-pf-10 off
    at the end of the /etc/modprobe.conf file

However this has had little effect. This is suppost to turn off anything to do with IPV6

Any other ideas?

I forget the steps i took (mandrake was installed for only 2 days untill i gave up on it as an OS) to disable ipv6, tho in theory 10.1 should have fixed this so i cant confirm if ipv6 is at fault - worth a shot though.
    You've probably already checked this but what about the connection speed in the kppp settings.

maybe try www.linuxquestions.org, its a good site for those sorts of things