Thread: How Often Is TOO Often?

Arrow How Often Is TOO Often?

Hello all...

When a script/program is designed to check the status of a particular page(s) for any updates, what interval of time in which it regularily checks is acceptable or even legal?

For example, would you consider a remotely hosted script that checks a page for updates every 30 secs within a period of 24 hours legal? How about every 1, 5, or 10 minutes?

Thank you for your help!

Legal? It might be considered improper to check anymore than 5 minutes if you are checking 24/7.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    The question really comes down to permission....

If it's your page or you pay someone to maintain that page for you then you can check it a million times a minute if you want.

OTOH, and the more likely situation, you are trying to determine if a page you are interested in has new information for you... That's a different situation and one that would vary depending upon the situation. Technically it isn't illegal to visit a web page as often as you like, and we could be talking milliseonds, but that might be considered an attempt at a Denial of Service.

The question you need to ask yourself is "How often is reasonable for the site I want the information from"? If it's EBay.... I would be careful if you want less than 1 second information, though what you are doing isn't illegal it might get you blocked.

The situation is more important than the act.... Can you give more detail?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Sure, I can give you more details...

I'm trying to re-gain ownership of a domain name that I forgot to renew. So therefore, I need to use some software to watch the status of the domain name I'm trying to backorder. I would use one of those backordering services, but I just can't afford it.

So, I'd like to check the status of my domain name on a regular basis, and then register it once it becomes available. Is this legal?

Thanks!

Whens the domain name suppose to expire?

You can get a Domain Monitoring / Backorder service from godaddy that will continuously monitor your domain and if it expires it will instantly grab it and register it for you.

I think its about $20 and that includes the domain registration fee.

Might be safer and a bit more legal doing it that way than checking a website with a script every few seconds.
    =