Thread: CLI utility to show file permissions and owner

CLI utility to show file permissions and owner

Are there any CLI utilities (2K/XP) that I can use to create a script to search for a certain type of file, report back the file permissions along with the "owner" or creator of the file?

I can right click on a file and go to the security tab and then advanced tab and then owner tab to show me, but there has got to be a faster way...

Also, I noticed that when I cut a foler or file and move it, I now become the owner of all files in that folder or that specific file? I didn't want to take ownership, they are not my files. I just want to move them. If I cut, I'm not really creating a new file... I'm just moving the pointer to that file.

I could see why that would happen if I were to copy the file... because then I'd actually be creating a new file...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmm.. how about fsutil file findbysid ? Take a look at fsutil file for other options as well. Also, what about robocopy.exe to deal with the issue of moving files and perserving the ownership?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hi

In the NT times, dumpacl by somarsoft was a must.
    It dumped the full ACL of the file system into a text file,
    which then could be processed using scripts.

DumpSec is the product nowadays[1]:
    dumps the permissions (DACLs) and audit settings (SACLs) for the file system, registry, printers and shares
    I don't know it, but hopefully it is as great as
    dumpacl was used to be - and that there is a CLI
    (I read so, but didn't try).
    /edit: yes, there is also the possibility to run it
    as CLI. see manual. and it looks like the old
    dumpacl

Cheers

[1] http://www.somarsoft.com/
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    One more for you: perms.exe (both perms.exe and robocopy.exe are Resource Kit tools)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thank you both!

Much appreciated!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.