Thread: EXE to COM

Question EXE to COM

Is there a way to convert an EXE to COM file (and vice versa) with C++? I only know the basics of assembly, but I am familiar with Windows and the win32 concept. I know that EXE's contain a file header, that is essentially unneeded. Also, I believe they start at a different memory locale or something to that effect. I don't know if C++ has the low-level power I am looking for.

A_T
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

Hi AccessT~

Sorry, I haven't messed with that sort of stuff for so long I wouldn't dare try to advise you

However, I did know what I was looking for:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

Plenty of resource there? Even a few tools, although I would imagine most are ASM.

Cheers

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    Just trying to learn here: Why would you want to convert an exe to com?

Thanx,

kurt

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi,

I don't know if a exe can be converted into .com......................com files have a Single segment..........so a com file cannot be bigger than 64 k ..............it would be quite Difficult a Exe might contain Multiple segments .

I am not Quite sure here .........

Hi Kurt~ and SwordFish.

Yes they can be converted................if you follow the link in my previous post, you will find tools and discussions.

As I recall it has something to do with creating DOS drivers for a windows environment and vice versa..............playing old games and running old/legacy applications.............as I said it is a long time ago. I only found the link because I happened to remember the name of one of the apps from way back.

Thanks for the replies. I have seen source for a program of this type, but it is written in ASM. I have very limited ASM knowledge...my question is: can this be done in C++?

A_T
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

Hi,

As I mentioned I had a brief exposure some time ago................I do not know what C++ can do, but I know that the task can be done in C, and possibly Basic. If C++ will do what can be done in C then the answer is "yes"

My point would be that this task/requirement belongs to the past, when the tools were different (there was no C++ ).

Try looking for a solution in C, then look to convert that to C++???????????????

have seen source for a program of this type, but it is written in ASM
    I guess that is my era.

I am sorry I cannot help more, I am a lazy £$%^&* and would always use a tool, or steal code and modify it, rather than write something original..................I guess that must make me the ORIGINAL SCRIPT KIDDIE?

The approach allowed me more drinking time......................

Seriously though, given the era of the requirement, I feel that you will have to search for a solution in ann older language, and look to convert it.

Good luck