Thread: EZ Firewall ?

EZ Firewall ?

I found via Microsoft Security Center the CA "eTrust EZ AntiVirus" program, that one can download and use 12 months for free .

It also comes with firewall, that seems to be ZoneAlarm.

I wonder if some one has experience and oppinions on the firewall.

1) I suppoce there is no difference if I run CA EZ Firewall or ZoneAlarm ?

2) I have now the XP firewall disabled, is this all good?
    I suppoce all network trafic is disabled untill ZoneAlarm kicks in?

3) Any oppinion on the Free vs Pro versions?

Thanks.
    I did not do it.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Personally, I prefer Sygate to ZoneAlarm for a home use setting. I find that it works better and is more attentive about programs going outbound and not just concerned about inbound.

I have now the XP firewall disabled, is this all good?
    I suppoce all network trafic is disabled untill ZoneAlarm kicks in?
    If you've disabled the firewall then you have 0 protection right now. Disabled means OFF.

There are quite a few free applications out today (e.g., Open Office, AVG from Grisoft, Sygate, etc.) that are as good as or better than their paid counterparts.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Dead Man Walking
    MsMittens brings up a point that is often missed. Outbound trafic is just as important than inbound traffic. For example say you get yourself infected witha trojan that for some reason your av and anti-trojan software fail to recognize. The first and only clue you will have is the fact that all of the sudden you have a program asking to acsess the network that shouldnt be. With that in mind sygate can be a little anal about outbound program controll but IMHO that is a good thing. And while you are at it dont forget atleast 2 differnt antispyware programs. I recomend spybot search and destroy and adaware.

As far as free vrs pro it realy depends on the aplication. If you are just a normal home user then the free versions of AVG Sygate Spybot etc etc, are just fine. If you plan on running any kind of server you need to get the licsensed full version. Not only from a security standpoint but from a legality standpoint. For example, I have a box running windows 2000 advance server I use for a test box on my lan. but even though Im not running a published website or anything off of it AVg will NOT install on it. It pops up an error message saying I cant install it because they have detected that I am using server software.

Hi Hippo~

I think that I have said this elsewhere.

I ran e-Trust for quite a while. The version of ZoneAlarm that it uses is a very bare bones, minimalistic version.

What I did was download & instal the free version of ZA (proper) then installed e-trust AV. e-trust detected that I already had ZA and did not try to load its version. That way you get "the best of both Worlds" if "best" can be used in this context

In ZA just set everything to "high" and block all servers.

I have commented on e-trust AV in your other thread.

Cheers

Thank you for your replies
    I did not do it.