Thread: regarding DDoS attacks

regarding DDoS attacks

how can we know that a website is being DDoS attacked? is there any security software, aside from firewall, that can track a web server behaviour..?? what type of web/network server would you strongly recommend?
    you can fool some people sumtime...but u cant fool all da people all da time - marley

well any network traffic monitor would do the trick. I mean if you see an enourmous spike in data aimed at the server, and it doesnt stop...you are probably being DDoS'ed.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I mean if you see an enourmous spike in data aimed at the server, and it doesnt stop...you are probably being DDoS'ed.
    And that it's from multiple sources (e.g., multiple IP addresses or subnets).

what type of web/network server would you strongly recommend?
    For?! Apache has a good reputation in general. If you mean to withstand the attack, I don't know if one product stands above others in this regard since it's a question of pure volume. In this case it's a matter of having a good ISP that knows enough to detect and help you deal with this before you have to ask.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Wanting to withstand a DDOS attack is kinda like wanting to withstand an Earthquake at ground zero.

A good foundation helps alot, you've already shown this by wanting to know about server software (i think thats what you were meaning), but also look at your network setup.

If you setting up, or preparing a network, most likely some computers will need a connection to the internet to serve data. Ie Web Server / Email Server etc etc. So you will require a DMZ or a semi-DMZ. Also, if you read alot about DDOS attacks, many successful (well as successful as they can be) are done when blocking to packets at the ISP. Made the time to speak to the techies or setup a worese-case plan ?

[Also, as i was writing this, it also occured to me that some devices/software have some wierd effects to DDOS attacks, ie resetting to default settings etc etc. So check google, and other sites for the hardware/software your looking for. But a simple, patch / firmware upgrade should fix it]*

* The comments in the [] are based on little research and many assumptions. So do abit of research on that topic first. Sorry if i manage to mislead you.
    http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affili...88x31/take.gif
    If You\'ve Done Something Right. People Wont Know You\'ve Done Anything At All - God (futurama)