Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: remote access to a computers files

He just has passwords for his personal stuff he doesn't have access to anything of consequence at work. He is the COO not technical at all. He does not have any firewall or any of that stuff in place because he sits behind our corporate firewall. He read how to encrypt his file from the book Windows for Dummies. He has no idea that I am going to do this.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    just a little Sunday fun.
    It's playoffs... Watch football & drink beer.... How hard was that
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Hang on there...........
    I have a bet with a buddy. I have social engineered him and found out he has a excel spreadsheet with all his passwords on it
    And:

He has no idea that I am going to do this.
    He may not know what you are going to do, but if you have a bet he will know you are going to do something. He may well have sought expert advice elsewhere?

He just has passwords for his personal stuff he doesn't have access to anything of consequence at work

Errrrrr, your network isn't "of consequence"? He is not using VPN............he doesn't know anything about security............he is unprotected?...............if he gets a virus, trojan or worm..........guess who will get it next?

He does not have any firewall or any of that stuff in place because he sits behind our corporate firewall
    errrr no he doesn't....................he cuts straight through your corporate firewall or he wouldn't be able to connect.

All externally connecting machines should have their own firewall and antivirus etc. They are your weakest link, particularly if it is a privately owned home computer, being used by someone without technical knowledge.

As muert0 states quite correctly:

So it's a backdoor to your network with all the passwords written down in plain english for anyone to take and you're playing games instead of doing something about the problem???
    And you need to bring this guy up to speed on security issues, as well as any others like him.

I agree, you have much bigger priorities than playing tricks on your colleagues.

This is a joke! What is the purpose of this website to give personal advise or computer advise?
    Does anyone know how to get into a windows share or not. Please don't submit a reply unless you have an answer to the question.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Ok, I'll submit a reply, and I have an answer to your question. You are CIO. This means you obviously have the skills to CLOSE THE HOLE IN YOUR NETWORK. We aren't about playing games or giving out hack information to people who haven't proven themselves here by longevity, a decent knowledge of systems, and a willingness to help others. Go play your Sunday games, but don't expect any help from us.

Oh yah - enjoy the reds.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

You have had some excellent computer security advice, and you do not even know it.

You are not a CIO unless that stands for "Completely Idiotic Obnoxiousness"

You are a zit-faced 15 year old wannabe skiddie................

I say that because you didn't have the brains to say what operating system your buddy was using........a vital piece of information for what you are proposing. Neither did you say how he connected..........thin client, web browser, mapped drive etc.............also vital information. Or even if he had a dynamic or static IP address

Let's face it, you don't know enough to do what you suggest.......................

Personal advice?: Get a life

Ok lets start over I think I may have some people that know what they are doing.
    The guy has a DSl that is connected to a dslam. The dslam is mapped to a frame pvc on a T-1 that comes into our network as a layer 2 bridged connection. This is a private connection it does not go through the internet. He has a static ip address that I assigned. He has a full connection to us just like he has an ethernet connection at the office. We have firewalls content filters and proxy servers in place that catct most junk before it gets in to his personal computer. We have managed antivirus client on his computer that we push out updates as they become available it is checked every 30 min. I mentioned earlier that I was trying to attach to his hidden C$ share so I assumed you would know that it was a windows box. It is xp home sp1. Is there anything else that I might need to add to convice you that I have a clue.

I realize that I don't know enough to do what I am trying to do that is why I am asking.

Well for one you could "Show us all" and shut the **** up.

You said ealier that he encrypted the excel file right?
    He couldn't have used EFS since win xp home doesn't have EFS.
    What did he encrypt it with then?

My point, even if you did get ahold of that excel file you wouldn't be able to decrypt it, modify it, encrypt it and put it back.