Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I cant see my drives!

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

I cant see my drives!

Ok, earlier i posted that my hard drive was failing and it was, i took it into the shop and had my computer worked on. well today i got it back and now i cant physically "see" my D or G drives which are my cd drive and my cd burner. but, when i restart my computer they reappear and i can use them. why are they randomly appearing and disappearing?? this is really bothering me. thanx bye.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Hi Tex,

Let me get this straight.........

When you boot you have a D and a G drive, but then they dissappear and you have to re-boot to get them back?

What is your "E" drive and "F" drive?

As they are just CD drives I would be inclined to delete them, check that you have master/slave or cable select correctly configured with the jumpers then re-boot and let Windows re-discover them.

Cheers

C,F,E are my harddrives they work fine but, D and G are my drives with removeable storeage ie. cd drive/cd burner and those 2 randomly disappear and reappear. im very confused as to why. the guy who worked on my computer updated my bios and did a few other big changes. im not quite sure of everything he did. im running a dell P4 with 384 megs of RAM and im in the process of updating again to SP2 and getting fully patched.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Can't say I have come across this before. My first move would be to get the latest driver software for the CDs. Then remove them in Windows Device Manager, re-boot and let Windows rediscover them.

If that doesn't work I would take the box back to the guy you paid to fix it.

After all he knows what he did.............we can only guess?

Good luck

thanx i apprciate all your help. I also have one other question. He did a bios update on my computer. i was on AO2 and now it is at A06 and im having some trouble with my plug and play like with my webcam its USB and i plug it in and it wont "see" it. im thinking when he did the bios update it messed up my plug and play.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Hi Tex,

I obviously don't know if the BIOS update went smoothly, but I have encountered similar problems, and they can usually be resolved by updating the drivers and possibly deleting/re-installing the hardware.

With USB devices take a look in the setup and see if there are any options for USB, you may have to enable them.

Cheers

ok thanx again for the help.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

BANNED
    Did you open the machine and make sure the cables are all plugged in first?
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

muerto- yes i did, i suspected that at first.... maybe he reversed the jumpers on the cd drives i dont know...
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Tex,

If the jumpers were wrong I would expect problems on boot up rather than the intermittent "dissapearance" that you are getting mind you, I am not sure what would happen if you had one as "master" and the other as "cable select"

The problem does sound like a software one to me.