Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printing error across VPN.

AO French Antique News Whore

Printing error across VPN.

I'm trying to print across document across VPN. My VPN pings usually range in the 60-70ms with some peek in the 600ms. The printer is an Hp LaserJet 1320tn who have a jet direct include in the printer directly. I'm having socket error 10035 who is a timeout error on the TCP/IP error table. Anyone knows how to change the timeout to be longer? I already check the jet direct option and found nothing.

Another question, I try the print driver on a NT server and on a 2003 server. Anyone know why a print test page is 17.4 KB on a NT server and 176 KB on a 2003 server? Same PCL 6 driver!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Can you ping the Jet Direct... It may be a firewall stopping access to the printer.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I can ping the jet direct. Sometime it print, sometime it doesn't and give a error. It a bit random. I really thing the error happen when the VPN is slow. I just want have the job to make it work.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

SDK, are you sure that your vpn allow the printing ports passthru? Just a thought (im assuming that you could NEVER print).
    Or maybe the protocol used by the printer (above layer 4) is incompatible with VPN/NAT...
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Positive! It works 75% of the time. I want to take the number to 99.9%
    -Simon \"SDK\"

SDK, ive found this http://www.lprng.com/LPRng-Reference...part/x5171.htm about how to configure timeout AT THE PRINTER (i think is not the case but anyway....)

Also ive found some error on printing and their meanings:
    Sometimes, due to network traffic or printer workload, additional time is needed to make a connection or for a large number of jobs to print. When that happens, an Error 10060 is reported.
    When jobs are sent to a printer after a network connection is lost and the print job isn’t acknowledged, Error 10038 is reported.
    im asking some hp freaky colleagues here about other ideas
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Thank. I already try raising all the timeout of my jet direct (It use web browser interface).
    -Simon \"SDK\"

I think you may have found the limit of your VPN under the current connection configuration. VPN's tend to have quite a high overhead IME which can be surprisingly bad depending upon the type of connection you have.

A good example is my network. At one end I have a fractional T1 inbound, (384kbps), and from my cable modem at home, (3Mbps), I get nice connectivity. But I have a remote office, (not my satellite ), that uses DSL and I force the users to make a VPN connection to the main network before they can do anything else. The DSL has great download speed but crappy upload. The difference in performance of the VPN is very noticable But note that they both use the same fractional T1 at the remote end. Since you are printing from the remote site, (uploading), you may find that the upload speed of your remote connection is your limiting factor.
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Tiger, I complety agree with you but doesn't really answer my question.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

But that might, indeed, be the answer to your question.... The fact that it works 75% of the time but not the other 25% may well be a product of load on any part of the system between the client and the printer. You may have reached "saturation" somewhere along the line and no matter what you do on the client or printer end will give you the results you desire.

Could you organize a Terminal Services connection to the inside and try printing through that? It might work better since I don't think the print job would kick off from the terminal server until it is properly spooled at the remote location... Then it would be like being on the local network without the VPN overhead.