Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is best freeware FTP client for Win XP?

What is best freeware FTP client for Win XP?

What is best freeware FTP client for Win XP, say from this 4 products:
    - SmartFTP,
    - Filezilla,
    - FlashFXP (http://www.flashfxp.com),
    - ACE ftp

What I mean: just ftp client, lightweight, clean, i.e. write less registry entries into user
    system..

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Best one I know of is the default FTP commandline program.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

its old, archaic, and extremelly inconvenient thing - using this 'command line', typing command on black screen, etc- bad thing..

its old, archaic, and extremelly inconvenient thing - using this 'command line', typing command on black screen, etc- bad thing..
    so you are a real GUI person, then i think you are in the wrong forum / interests. the most powerful programs are written for the commandline, so if you do not like it, then i'm afraid you might miss a lot of powerful tools....

also commandline (textbased) programs are faster then GUI programs, it is more logical to use and most of them are freeware...

i prefer commandline above gui at almost any time (except browser).

ftp would be my choice too, although i sometimes use SmartFtp as well if i need to upload complete directory structures at once...

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    so you are a real GUI person, then i think you are in the wrong forum / interests. the most powerful programs are written for the commandline, so if you do not like it, then i'm afraid you might miss a lot of powerful tools....

also commandline (textbased) programs are faster then GUI programs, it is more logical to use and most of them are freeware...

i prefer commandline above gui at almost any time (except browser).

ftp would be my choice too, although i sometimes use SmartFtp as well if i need to upload complete directory structures at once...
    Amen, brother . True power lies in command line, no matter *nix or windows!

And taurus5, it sounds like you don't like to move anything more than your index finger!?! Once you get down the basic use of the command line, its very easy. If not at the very start....

If you do decide to move beyond the stuck in the box mind phase:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...us/ntcmds.mspx

i gotta go with smartFTP - and i aint getting dragged into the GUI/Command line argument as for me they both have their uses.

v_Ln

Banned
    He's just asking for a decent FTP-client for Win XP. Trying to talk him into using the command line is like trying to talk someone into using Linux when all they want to know is a decent alternative for IE...

I always use SmartFTP. It's fast, and it's powerful...
    The (minimal!) speed you gain from a textbased program being faster than its GUI-counterpart, is lost entirely by its use: don't tell me it's faster to type in a bunch of commands than it is to drag-and-drop (even for one single file)

Edit
    True power lies in command line, no matter *nix or windows!
    That's bull... may have been true in the Windows 95-days, but not anymore. Show me one thing that proves that a command line has more power than a GUI...

I myself have used CoreFTP for a while, never let me down....

And taurus5, it sounds like you don't like to move anything more than your index finger!?!
    Hey i only type with my index finger:-p

I guess SmartFTP is better since more people suggested it.
    O.G at A.O

quote:
    True power lies in command line, no matter *nix or windows!

That's bull... may have been true in the Windows 95-days, but not anymore. Show me one thing that proves that a command line has more power than a GUI...
    ahhhh but neg you should know that command line makes you look like a l337 hack0r - that is its true power

v_Ln

Banned
    I know that that's what it's all about, val