Thread: Firewall Programming...

Question Firewall Programming...

Hey Friends,

I am writting a program that should automatically upload some records to my FTP server w/o the knowledge of the current user (not necessary the owner of PC). But the firewall catches the activity. Do anybody has idea how can I get around the Firewall, how can I automatically add my program to the firewall safe-list or something.

Thanks in advance,
    Zeeshan Alam
    Retina-X Studios, LLC
    www.retinax.com

AO Senior Cow-beller
    What firewall? Is it host based or a hardware device? What error are you getting (specifically, don't say "it won't let me upload")?
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

The reason your FTP connection are being denied would be due to a rule in place on the firewall - the firewall is either denying all outbound FTP connections or only allowing them from certain hosts, and the host being used isn't one of those privelaged hosts.

What kind of program is this? My question is why are you writing a program that calls home automatically without the users knowledge? In my book, that's a no-no...
    - Maverick

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    You wouln't be writing a keylogger would you?

You need to speak to the person who controls the firewall, explain what you need to to do and why, and ask them to change the rules to allow it.

Good luck.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by Maverick811
    The reason your FTP connection are being denied would be due to a rule in place on the firewall - the firewall is either denying all outbound FTP connections or only allowing them from certain hosts, and the host being used isn't one of those privelaged hosts.

What kind of program is this? My question is why are you writing a program that calls home automatically without the users knowledge? In my book, that's a no-no...
    Hehe, I was waiting for more info before I took aim at this point Maverick. If you check out the URL he posts, they make "Spy Software". Spyware? Hard to say; the site seems to represent that this is for legitimate use, but we've all heard that song and dance before (coughGATORcough). Software for remote viewing of desktop, key logging, email/im thread recording, etc. I can theorize where legitimate uses of that sort of thing could occur. And that would explain what he is trying to overcome...one of the PFW's or a device is blocking the transmission out and notifying the user.

On an unrelated (or is it) and ironic note...his other thread is asking how to remove Home Search Assistant spyware.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Dear Acespy,
    give me just ONE reason for we help you on matter like that.
    You work on a (legal) spy company.
    Such company make spy software that can be used by anyone.
    This "anyone " can install your software on a PC that is managed by my (security) team.

And you are asking to give you a way to break our current defenses AGAINST this type of exploit?

Please answer this with your motivation.... hope that is good

sincerly,

CacoSapo
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Whom do you send to jail, those who make pistols, or those shoots using the pistols?

Spy Software and Spyware are different things, Spy Software can be removed with the uninstall instructions, Spyware: Home Search Asst. needs some "extra" intelligence to remove them. The owner of the PC installs spy software on their wish to protect and watch the activities of their computer.

I know the hair-distance between protecting and killing with a pistol, but ppl have to do things to make a living, see SpectorSoft making millions.

Thanks for the comments,
    Zeeshan Alam
    Retina-X Studios, LLC
    www.retinax.com

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Zeeshan,

You haven't answered my original questions. I haven't refused to help you...I posted some speculative points, but I did ask for details that could help us determine what is your actual problem.

Ethical assumptions aside, you do ask a somewhat legitimate question.

It can be done with a little big of legwork. Check the SANS Reading Room, or perhaps the InFocus Archives at SecurityFocus. Then again, you could also consider the various ways of circumnavigating it -- rather than trying to bypass the firewall, why not use commonly trusted apps *coughInternetExplorercough* to do the work for you?

I personally don't hold much hope that your product will succeed for three reasons:
    1. You came to AntiOnline asking such questions, when numerous other sources have already published methods of getting around software firewalls.
    2. You seem to lack an understanding of the issue; if you did understand it fully the ways to circumnavigate it are blatantly apparent.
    3. You posted a topic that lots of AntiOnline members (myself excluded) will probably pounce on you for, out of their blind idiocy.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Sounds cool. I needed such resources to start with. Antionline just tick on my mind when I have anything security ty-pa question. I post here be4 I do a google search indeed. Been here since 2000 (under diffn. ids) but not a regular visitor. Ok Thnx.

P.S. Let the public decide whether the product succeed or not. Hope you buy one copy of it.