Looking for some Philosophy Links
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for some Philosophy Links

Question Looking for some Philosophy Links

Hello all-

In my ever continual search of self-improvement and education, I was set on the path today to seek out a philosophy course to aid me in becoming a better thinker and decision maker when I encounter multiple avenues of stress; rather than relying on an emotional 'knee-jerk' decision based on emotion to get me through.

Any links or information would be great - I am of course googling and seeking 'professional' help in the means of a taught course in philosophy, I just wanted to pick the other philosophers in this community.

Thanks, graci, gracias, danke in advance-

KuiXing-2005.
    \"An ant may well destroy a whole dam.\" - Chinese Proverb
    \"Not only can water float a craft, it can sink it also.\" - Chinese Proverb

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=764

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    http://www.antionline.com/member.php...&userid=186434

©opy®ight's profile : he is active on a philosophy forum, the link is in his sig.
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Hi

In a first step, you might be interested in the ways of thinking
    of the great philosophers, beginning with the ancient greek
    to contemporary ones - I highly recommend Sophie's World [1],
    which is an amusing lecture.

In a second step, you might deepen your "knowledge" a little bit
    more, by picking one of them and understand what his/her work is
    all about. I really loved to read stuff written by Immanuel Kant[2]
    and Bertrant Russell[3] - although both are a real pain in the butt
    to read, but their approaches are - unique.

But the third and most important step: Pick a topic of random choice
    and develop your own thoughts and ideas. Or try to argue against
    one of the great philosophers - find the holes. Or be active in philosophers
    forums. Have fun.

/edit:
    rereading your post, I got the impression that you also might seek
    decision-helping methods rather than "philosophy". You may perform
    a google about "work and organizational psychology" and "decision process".
    We once had a workshop about all different kind of stuff (something like a
    "hat"-method etc), but it was somewhat in the past, and I cannot recall
    (what an impact ... ) sorry.

Cheers

[1] http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...864674-9344858
    [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immanuel_Kant
    [3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertrand_Russell
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)

Banned
    Don't buy philosphy books - read them for free at http://digital.library.upenn.edu/books/
    All the great works are on there.

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    Great Link, Negative !!! Thanks, just what I wanted!

KuiXing-2005...if I take what you said as it is ( " knee-jerk " " stress " )you don't want philosophy...I would advise, if there is such a thing a "debate forum", or a class in any of the social fields would better serve your purposes.

Check out www.third-plateau.org. It's full of people that are experienced in disociative states and they have interesting things to say. There are also entities there reffered to as lurkers and corotards. Beware. There is much BS there, but if you post sincere questions, you will get sincere answers.
    There are many rewarding oppurtunities awaiting composure from like minds and great ideas. It in my objective to interconnect great things.

Most excellent! Thanks all for the great tips and links - this is what I wanted.

As I was thinking about it last night, I believed that I too needed something more on decision making than philosophy. I believe the person offering me the advice was looking to help me be able to separate my emotional (read: hot-tempered) side from my logical side when encountering various avenues of stress. I believe I will will go after both decision making and philosophy and see where it takes me.

Again - thanks for the great help and links - and the quick response! I knew that this community had philosophers!

KuiXing-2005.
    \"An ant may well destroy a whole dam.\" - Chinese Proverb
    \"Not only can water float a craft, it can sink it also.\" - Chinese Proverb

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=764

KuiXing...if you must pursue philosophy, as you stated that this is still something you are considering to experiment with...I would suggest that you study Epictetus or Marcus Aurelius...they are simple to read and understand, and are without the rhetoric ... they were two of the greatest self-examining and self-aware philosophers of their time. Most of what they wrote were examinations of themselves.
    Epictetus was a slave and Marcus was an Emperor...you won't need any other teachers for your particular needs.

COSMOS kicks up some good one's once in a while. For instance some day I would like to revisit an old COSMOS discussion on short period and long period commets versus creation. I am armed with new knowledge on them and the outer planets. Some how CopyWrite or Memory, Nemory... and Philosphy seems odd? Or is it just me?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Hi RoadClosed !

I don't know what you mean by "good ones" ?

And I don't know how comets relate to creation other than them being a part of creation...perhaps you can make a thread on that so I can see what you mean. I would be interested in reading your theories.

As for Talk Philosophy...I signed-up...made a couple of comments then left and deleted the bookmark. What they have is not philosophy but common rhetoric...which some people thoughly enjoy...it's just not my cup-of-tea. To each their own...as they say.