m$ BSOD *** STOP errors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: m$ BSOD *** STOP errors

m$ BSOD *** STOP errors

I got a new mobo and processor for my home 2k server and added 1024mb of ram.

(the mobo is actually not new, but used. the person had no problems running 2k server on it)

It is a PCCHIPS m811 mobo with an AMD 1700+ processor.
    The video card is the same I used before 64mb nvidia gforce.

I got a new case and everything.

1x dvd drive
    1x dvd/cd burner
    1x3.5 floppy

1x80gb for OS and misc. don't store much on there
    2x120gb data storage
    1x160gb data storage

I have a promise ata100 ide controller for the extra two hdds.

I put everything in and boot the OS. It finds new hardware, and I load the drivers from the cd that came with the mobo. I go to windows update and find newer drivers, so I load them.

Shortly after, I start getting the following BSOD errors.
    Most of the time it is while using the computer manager to look at disk management.

*** STOP: 0x00000076

(0x00000000, 0xff1780c0, 0x00000002, 0x00000000)

Process_has_locked_pages.
    Followed tip from
    http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBF/Tip2500/rh2566.htm

According to them, I'm supposed to get a new BSOD
    "STOP: 0x000000CB (P1,P2,P3,P4) DRIVER_LEFT_LOCKED_PAGES_IN_PROCESS"

But I don't... I get

added registry change and now I get this BSOD
    *** STOP: 0x000000D9

(0x00000004, 0xff1af5a8, 0xff303228, 0x00000000)

The driver is corrupting the locked pages tracking structures.
    I can't find any reference to that error. The 0x000000D9 I've seen always has a different message with it. I've checked it a couple of times now... just to make sure I wrote down the right thing.

I thought it was the promise controller because I haven't used that with this install, so I removed it. But, I still get the same problems.

I've removed all drivers (safe mode) and reloaded them with new versions, but still get the error.

How can I find out exactly which driver is causing the problem?
    I've changed IDE cables, changed memory, etc.

BTW: according to windows update, I have all critical updates, sp4 and all driver updates...

EDIT:

I can reproduce the error every time by going into computer management and clicking on disk management. Which it gives the "connecting to logical disk management service" then I get the BSOD.

I can also cause this error by manually starting the logical disk administrative service.

I've now unisntalled EVERY driver from the OS, rebooted and reinstalled every driver from drivers downloaded from the makers websites and it still crashes.
    /EDIT:
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Im not a hardware guy. But if i was in your position. I'd cut my losses and get a new mobo. Sorry I couldnt be more help
    http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affili...88x31/take.gif
    If You\'ve Done Something Right. People Wont Know You\'ve Done Anything At All - God (futurama)

AOs Resident Troll
    sorry if I missed something...

But I have a couple of questions...

Is this a clean install???
    NT4..you could just disable\uninstall all devices..change the MB..and then reinstall all devices...

AFAIK..this cannot be done with a 2K OS...

I had on 2k WS that would crash after I changed the power management settings in ths BIOS

according to MS...this is unrecoverable,...and you need to reinstall...repair didnt work....even setting the BIOS back to what it was. This was around SP2...maybe fixed now

Also..do any of those disks have a disk management software or utility on them....may be interfering with the 2k disk management??

Does a new install...or parallel install do this...are you able to try this.

If it crashes with that...ITs hardware.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Phish:

It has been our experience here that changing the mobo on a Win2k install often causes significant problems. It is our policy to do a full backup of data and do a fresh install when we change mobo's, drives etc. since we have been bitten by just trying to move a Win2k load across hardware previously.

You might want to consider our "tactic" and redo the install.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AOs Resident Troll
    I think TS and I were posting at the same time...

But he did confirm my hunch....

It has been our experience here that changing the mobo on a Win2k install often causes significant problems.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Elite Hacker
    I'd have to agree on the reinstall. Sound like it should be easy to take stuff off your system drive and put it on your data drives to backup. One thing, I almost got the impression the drivers and everything worked fine before you ran windows update and installed updates they had for them. I'm not sure if it's bad to use old drivers when there are updates, but if they work fine before you update them, you may wanna just use the original drivers from the manufacturers disk. Just my 2 cents

The reloading of all the original drivers won't work. I've done it several times now and I can't decipher those damn BSODs to determine which driver is causing the probem.

h3r3tic: I'm not sure if it worked before I ran windows update. That was the first thing I did. I like to keep current with everything...

I've tried updating the BIOS, but the BIOS I downloaded from the manufacturer's site doesn't work. Says that I'm trying to load the wrong image for my system... but its the only freaking download available.

I only have the OS and some misc. programs on that my OS drive. I don't really keep any data on there... I do have an extra drive that I can install to and see if I get the same problem.

I was hoping that the reinstall would be last choice. But, at this point... I've got nothing to loose.

thanks

Oh yeah.. one more thing.

Is it ok to use a ata-133 harddrive on a promise ata-100 controller?

I can hook it up and it'll recognize, but to be safe... I put my CDROMs on that controller and kept all four harddrives on the onboard controllers.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

my experience as a MS "cloner" is that you cant (most of the times) transfer an O.S. for a machine that has a so different MotherBoard. It simply too hard to "clean" the previous O.S. from old MoBo drivers. Even if you install all new drivers, the damn windows continue to have some "hidden" parameters and programs and it simply goes crazy.

Its same thing when you have a IDE boot disk and try to move the O.S. to a SATA disks. its just easier to go on TS idea: backup and fresh install.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Just a quick update. You all were right. Format and reload worked fine.

Too bad I didn't backup the server settings... just the data. I never think to backup my home stuff... only work. Ah well... should be easy enough to recreate.

I still have some hardware to install... so if it starts acting up again. I'll at least know which component. Thanks again everyone.

Son of a b***h! No sooner did I hit reply, the fecking thing BSOD'd on me again!
    I'm gonna pully my hair out... I swear!

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Then you have bad hardware that is intermittent there Phish old chap. Did it "pop" on ZDisk management again or just randomly? Is the Mobo on the HCL?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides