Network Share Problem

Thread: Network Share Problem

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar

Unhappy Network Share Problem

Hey gang,

workplace computers suck hahaha....

At work we have a small network, and one of the computers that ran win98 crashed and XP was installed over it. I put all the network on and mapped the right drives. the user name is exactly the same, and i believe the workgroup name for all computers is the same also.

However, when trying to access the mapped drives, it says it doesnt have authorisation. now i hold all the share and security settings on the main computer acting as a sever also, but i cant seem to add his username, the 'add' button is shaded out in the "sharing" folder of the network drive in question. i have looked countless other ways but cant seem to grant him access.

[edit] The computer acting as server is Xp pro also[/edit]

His computer is displayed on the 'computers on network' and you can access the windows default shared files across the computers, but not the mapped drives.

Does anyone else have any insight? its not my job for the computers at work, and i aint the greatest network guru, more of a hardware guy lol....

Anyways, thanks in advance

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Is simple file sharing disabled?

You might try disabling it if it is.

Open up my computer click onn tools, then folder options. Then click n view, and scroll to the bottom.

Look for Simple File sharing, and uncheck it.
    =

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Lol....

yea, simple file sharing is turned off...

i laughed because i was going to put that in my original thread, but decided not to... and then it was asked anyways.

I Tried my best to explain the question in as much detail. the problem i dont understand is that i just cant add a user permission on the server computer for the mapped drives. what is the procedure to do this? i will let you know if it is what i have tried and if there is a bigger problem

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

I think DACL might be your problem, well atleast your solution.

If Simple File Sharing is disabled. You should be able to see the front end of DACL. My suggestion is that the shares are pulling its permissions (remember its two fold. ill mention this later) from its parent dir. (Also could you add in usernames in your next post) So Administrator (or Aministrators Group) does have permissions to access default shares (c$, ipc$, admin$) so thats why that would work. But you need to check the permissions (Administrator must have Modify rights) on the parent share. Also add in the option, for "allow settings to propergate to sub dirs" or similar. Back to two fold situation. When you share the dirs, the Administrator must have Write/Modify access, AND NTFS permissions. But you have probably already setup that section correctly.

Also, check if your putting permissions for only the local drive/security policy. Sounds like your not running Active Directory (would suggest this though) so all permissions are local permissions only.

the user name is exactly the same
    Here might be your problem. The user might be the same, but the SID isnt. Try using a different username on both computers and check if that works

If this doesnt help, or any other information, could you post some information about the networks usernames, groups, reason for network (problems printing when servers is printer server), etc etc

PS: workplace computers do suck
    http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affili...88x31/take.gif
    If You\'ve Done Something Right. People Wont Know You\'ve Done Anything At All - God (futurama)