Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: valid windows password

Banned

valid windows password

Does anyone know a link to what characters are acceptable and what are acceptable starting characters?

Dead Man Walking
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...sword_tips.asp

The first link provided bygoogle you should find this helpfull.

Banned
    thanx for the valid character set but what i'm looking for specificaly is what are valid characters for the first character in the password

sometime's you can use the whole character set for the pwd but only letters and numbers for the starting character

i think this might be cause of the original problem which i posted in this thread

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...177#post817177

Dead Man Walking
    Okay unhappy but at the same time that is the site that is going to have any information you need. All you have to do is look for it. Its straight from the manufacturer. Or do you want us to do ALL of the work for you?

Banned
    no i don't ...

and i did look for it... and google for it ... so just forget it

Elite Hacker
    I'm pretty sure for the password you can use any supported character for the first or any position in the password. Usually it's only usernames that give you trouble about using weird things for the first character. If it doesn't like what you have in mind, it will tell you. Good luck , you're gonna need it .

Well,

It seems that you are talking about Windows operating system passwords. As far as I know all the keyboard-visible characters are acceptable as a first character in a password. I can certainly vouch for £$€#~&^, but I don't recall using any others. This is consistent with general Microsoft practice where a character is either illegal, or you can do what you like with it. There may well be exceptions to that, but none that immediately come to mind.

I have not tried using any of the special characters, so I cannot comment on them. I am given to understand that you can use them, but that is only hearsay, and I don't know if there are any restrictions.

I have seen some very peculiar things with applications passwords, and I have no idea about passwords in the 9x operating systems; but I know we are talking NT based here, so that is irrelevant

What was the first character you used? If you like I can test it on Win2000 pro and XP Pro by just setting up another user account. Just let me know which ones you want trying

AO Senior Cow-beller
    /me looks for his € key...
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

hes british, its the thigny for the pound.

I would think that any visible character on the keyboard is acceptable cause thats why its there. lol
    Davide Coon

Dead Man Walking
    actualy the goofy looking c isnt the symbol for the pund. that would be the goofy looking l