Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 2000 Server

Windows 2000 Server

Our server went down due to hardware failure, we switched from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 Server. In the process of switching two things did occur.

First. We've already got a "Primary Domain Controller" but, if we were to change this new server to a "Secondary Domain Controller" would tha be neccessary? Or should we add this server to it's own domain? In addition to that, we wanted to take the "L: Drive" off of our new server and share it- Which would be the most simple way to do that? So everyone has access, we are trying to avoid "recreating" numerous amounts for people to login, basically just want them to log onto windows and a "Batch-DOS Prompt" loads giving them the drive. We won't have to authiniticate the drive.

Second. Now that the server has switched over all of our "Savin Laser Scanners" won't refresh correctly. If the server is shut down the Savin's have to be as well, so that the list will populate on them again. Not sure why it is forcing us to do that, it's supposed to have an automated refresh. That's why were guessing it started with the "Server" because it happened when we changed Operating Systems.

Also, I do know that "Windows 2000 Server" gives you the option of using a "Wizard" which will actually setup as a "Secondary Domain Controller". Another question, what exactly does the operation of the "Secondary Domain Controller" entail?

Any help would be appreciated.

AOs Resident Troll
    Have you looked at this site....

Should answer your question...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...t.asp#section3

As for software compatibility...

Contact the vendor...they may have an upgrade for you.

Also...you said it was already setup???

Does it have a static or dynamic IP??/

Backup domain controller...should handle authentication should the primary go down. What OS is your "primary" controller???
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

1st:A:

First. We've already got a "Primary Domain Controller" but, if we were to change this new server to a "Secondary Domain Controller" would tha be neccessary? Or should we add this server to it's own domain?
    No major reason to. Give us some more information about your network if you want my opinion on it. Secondary Domain Controllers can confuse when replication occurs. But major reason for a Secondary Domain Controller is if its running in another site. Ie PDC in New York, BDC in London. But that comes into Active Directory Domains and Trusts

1st:B:

In addition to that, we wanted to take the "L: Drive" off of our new server and share it- Which would be the most simple way to do that? So everyone has access, we are trying to avoid "recreating" numerous amounts for people to login, basically just want them to log onto windows and a "Batch-DOS Prompt" loads giving them the drive. We won't have to authiniticate the drive.
    Either setup a home drive .... Active Directory Users and Computers .... Home Path: \\Server\LDriverShare\ OR \\Server\LDriveShare\%username%

OR

Net Use Script: Type all your net commands here .... net use z: \\Server\LDriveShare /user:username password. Then to execute on clients machine:

1) On your PDC server, explore c:\winnt\system32\repl\export\scripts

2) Place your batch file there ie: my.bat

3) From the menu on the PDC select programs|administrative tools| manager for domains| to open the client list.

4) Select the desired users profile and click the <Profile> button.

5) Under the Logon Script Name type in My.bat

6) Wait for replication if you have multiple servers.

7) Test.

2nd:A:

Second. Now that the server has switched over all of our "Savin Laser Scanners" won't refresh correctly. If the server is shut down the Savin's have to be as well, so that the list will populate on them again. Not sure why it is forcing us to do that, it's supposed to have an automated refresh. That's why were guessing it started with the "Server" because it happened when we changed Operating Systems.
    NFI mate, try google for other users problems.

2nd:B:

Also, I do know that "Windows 2000 Server" gives you the option of using a "Wizard" which will actually setup as a "Secondary Domain Controller". Another question, what exactly does the operation of the "Secondary Domain Controller" entail?
    Are you talking about 'dcpromo' ? Migrating a Member Server into a Secondary Domain Controller is a point of usefulness. Unless the PDC is running a thousand Services and clients keep timing out, then load share it with a Secondary Domain Controller. Many other uses, mainly as a backup, but you already should have a backup solution running.

Also, can anyone clarify for me if there is a difference between a Secondary Domain Controller and a Backup Domain Controller. I know what a member server is, and by definition BDC and SDC are the same thing, even if the BDC isnt EXACTLY doing any backups ???
    http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affili...88x31/take.gif
    If You\'ve Done Something Right. People Wont Know You\'ve Done Anything At All - God (futurama)

Yea, we are using it to backup and store all of our tech tools, software, and various other things that only the techs will use.

Is there a way to map that drive off the server without creating a second set of id's? We already have it where you "login" and a batfile loads giving you an I:, J:, K:, O:, but those are on a different server. Could we get this other server to actually do do the same thing once they logon to the domain?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    There's a very important piece of information that is missing here..... What, exactly is your current OS level where the other servers are concerned.

See, Win2k doesn't have PDC's and BDC's any more... M$ claims all servers are equal... They aren't, there's the FSMO, which is like the uber 1337 server in a forest, (a group of domains), but that's a whole other story.

It's a bit of a pain, actually an incredible pain, trying to run Win2K servers as the low end of the totem pole in an primarily WinNT domain. Likewise the opposite is true. Depending upon your current server OS level you _might_ want to consider taking it back to WinNT.

Win2k in native mode is a wonderful thing.... Win2K in mixed mode can cause some really fun troubleshooting time....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

It isn't "Windows 2000" it's "Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Edition" it's specifically designed for server purposes.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Er... I don't think you answered the question I asked there.....

What is the server level of your other servers? You seem to be implying that you have other servers that may be WinNT... If I'm wrong then ok... it just seems like you have an established domain and you are upgrading a single server to Win2K

Enlightenment would be appreciated...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

GArrigotti,

Could you tell us ? Or better yet, show us (Visio / mspaint / notepad?), what network layout you already have existing.

A simple diagram of what servers are running and what clients. Just to give us some more information. (How many servers are running with windows and how many are member servers / PDCs / BDCs). Also names of the servers aswell

@Tiger Shark

I know what you mean by theres no PDC and BDC's, but i think what you mean is that its not required, ie a member server can act as a BDC. ??? Ignore that comment if im completely out of line

Yea, we are using it to backup and store all of our tech tools, software, and various other things that only the techs will use.
    A member server (Windows 2000 Server without a direct role in AD, ie Windows File Server), would be suffice for this. If all your doing is nightly backup routines of My Documents etc etc. Then a manual backup (well, automated script) to backup your AD Directory Structure

Is there a way to map that drive off the server without creating a second set of id's? We already have it where you "login" and a batfile loads giving you an I:, J:, K:, O:, but those are on a different server. Could we get this other server to actually do do the same thing once they logon to the domain?
    Heaps sorry, dont quite understand. There are ALOT of references to different types of ID's. SID's for DACL and SACL etc etc.

So once a client authenticates in front of the client machines, authenticating onto the PDC, AD maps the drives for the user. But on the (new?) BDC/MS(member server) it is not ?

I think ive lost concept of how many servers, which verions, and reasons for each server

### Note: Am i correct to assume you want to transfer all the AD information from PDC to BDC and have them working together ?
    http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affili...88x31/take.gif
    If You\'ve Done Something Right. People Wont Know You\'ve Done Anything At All - God (futurama)

We've got two windows 2000 servers and one WinNT

AOs Resident Troll
    What roles do these servers play in your domain???

NT= PDC ????????
    W2K=???????
    W2k=???????

IMHO...go hire a pro that has SOME understanding of network architecture and server roles.

I dont know if you post one liners on purpose...to trump up you posts..but it is REALLY irritating!!!

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer