Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Validation Problem. XML...

Question Validation Problem. XML...

Hello, my name is Ryan and I used to post here several years ago under the same account name, but different account. You should be seeing a lot more of me now.

First off, I took programming courses in college, however, the school I went to wasn't as efficient as I'd like to think.. I just recently started up my own website for fun. The topic of the website for all-purposes is the linkshell that I created in the game Final Fantasy XI Online.

I am trying to switch over to xhtml. I have the Deitel & Deitel textbooks "Internet & World Wide Web: How to Program" and "Java: How to Program" from my classes that I took about two years ago.

I am refreshing my memory to the code and programming procedures as I read along with the book, however..

I am using a very simple XML document to start off, and I've validated it at http://validator.w3.org/ via upload, however. When I try to use it on my website, I receive an error. The location of the file on the website is:http://ftsls.com/xhtml/main.html.

The code is perfect according to the book, and in my struggle, I took away nearly everything in the code so that it's at a simplistic state. However, there is still something wrong.

Please help!

If there is any other information that I can provide to assist you in assisting me, please let me know.

Thank you very much for your time.

-Ryan_

Regal Making Handler
    Using the link you gave: http://ftsls.com/xhtml/main.html

This is what I get using the firefox developers addin.

See attached text file.
    Change the extention to .html to view in your browser.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

The link displays fine in Firefox 1.0. (It shows "Welcome to the new XHTML format!" in the default font).

But IE 6.0 complains:
    Only one top level element is allowed in an XML document. Error processing resource 'http://ftsls.com/xhtml/main.html'. Line 18, Position 111

Apparently IE doesn't like the <script> tag (added by the server). Move it to another server, perhaps?

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

Dreamwaver MX

Hey There!

Well, i don't think that i have a lot to tell. But i have some advices that may give you better performance.

For designing a coherent and consolidated you have to test your website localy, by using Microsoft's Internet Information System {IIS}, or any other server software. If you have a Micromedia Dreamwaver MX, it would be quite easy to diagnose code errors. It is not recommended to publish untested websites, since the behaviour of this site is not predicted untill it is tested under clean environment.

Knowing the environment under which you are working is very vital too. Becasue different OSs have different behaviour toward webpages. For instance, in Linux INDEX.html is not like index.html, hence Linux is a case-sensitive OS. I don't wanna make it long.

I do recommened using Micromedia Dreamwaver MX. If you are currently using using it, then i have no more to tell.

Thank you all for your support!

First, I'll check with the server to see if anything can be done to remove that <script> tag.

If or if not...

I'd like to eventually just setup my own server.. You can call me newbie. I've never setup a server or anything similar to it. What would be a good starter box? I checked the AntiOnline Newbie Security Posts and I didn't see any post titles related to this recently. Basically, what are the very basic components I would need? And should I try learn Unix? Or is there another server-type program I should learn?

Keep in mind that this is all for fun. I want to maintain professionalism, but all in due time. I'm refreshing my programming skills and enhancing upon them at the same time. Budget is an issue, I'm currently an unemployed college student jumping from job to job in a struggling economy. If you can link me to some good components, that would be great^^ I'm aware of www.pricewatch.com and I like to look there for hardware, but the question is what should I be looking for in starting up my own server? I use Optimum Online (cable ISP).

Thanks so much, everyone!

-Ryan

Regal Making Handler
    Befor you try to get the script removed add the following to the head.

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

That made the page work with IE 6
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Hi mom!
    There's a lot of different webservers you can setup - configuring one is another possibly huge task. You can choose from out-of-the-box, precompiled and prepackaged webservers, or you can download the seperate parts of your environment and put it together yourself. Setting up a webserver (the software-side of it, anyways) can take somewhere between minutes and weeks.

Given the fact that you've been in college, I'd suggest you'd plunge right into the deep, and do it manually. First, setup a webserver (Apache is widely used and runs on both *nix and *dows) in its bare form: no plugins or modules whatsoever. After you've done that, reinstall or modify the installed version to include some other features.

If you decide to go with Apache, there are excellent docs on that website. Take your time though. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Hey there,

You can set up your own web server and this does not require a highly-skilled people to perform it, since the process of installing it will take you through a Step-by-step process. Since you are not tring to steer an e-Commerce website, the feasibility of using your own server will for testing purposes only. To install your ISS, you should go through the following steps: {Windows Users}

1- Go to Control Panel.
    2- Click on Add/remove programs
    3- In the new box click on the Add/Remove Windows Components
    4- Check the Internet Information Services {ISS}
    The System will ask you to put the Windows CD in the drive, then follow the steps accordingly.

When testing on your localhost, the results will be identical. That's to say, the website will behave as it were online.

Re: Validation Problem. XML...

Originally posted here by kraftwerk
    I am using a very simple XML document to start off, and I've validated it at http://validator.w3.org/ via upload, however. When I try to use it on my website, I receive an error. The location of the file on the website is:http://ftsls.com/xhtml/main.html.

The code is perfect according to the book, and in my struggle, I took away nearly everything in the code so that it's at a simplistic state. However, there is still something wrong.
    Your page is invalid according to the W3C validator when applied via URL: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...ml%2Fmain.html
    I'd suggest reading the XHTML section at http://www.w3schools.org as it's very comprehensive.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Cool, thanks for the advice. I was debating whether I should use: Unix/Linux, Windows 2000 Server, OS400(I hear good things about it, although it has an ancient feel to me), and Apache sounds pretty good. What's the bare minimum in hardware I would need to setup a basic Apache server? Do I need to purchase Apache, or is available for free download similar to Linux? I actually have a pretty nice full tower case laying around. So maybe I can just add a decent motherboard/processor (Do you recommend Intel or AMD?) How much RAM should a server have? I don't expect more than 20-30 hits in a day. Hard Drive should be? 40GB enough? Anything else I should consider? Also, perhaps you may know as an aside, which was the "good" version of Nero? The one before they stopped allowing DVD copying? I doubt I'd need to copy any DVDs, but if I'm going to buy Nero, I want that functionality available.

Thanks so much, everyone! I hope I can return the help to you in some way. I'm a game guru at best.. And of the programming languages I'm best with Java. So give me a hollar^^

-Ryan